cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vectoring Update

GeordieMark
Grafter

Vectoring Update

Since I can't seem to find the old vectoring thread...
BTOpenreach has confirmed that VDSL2 Vectoring (ITU-T G.993.5), which reduces crosstalk interference on ‘up to’ 40-80Mbps FTTC “fibre broadband” lines and thus improves service speeds, is now being deployed around the United Kingdom; specifically focusing on “areas where it delivers the most benefit to customers“.

Full article http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/06/bt-begins-uk-rollout-of-vectoring-to-fix-fttc-fibre-bro...
Anyone know if this includes ECI cabs too?
33 REPLIES 33
chrcoluk
Grafter

Re: Vectoring Update

what happened to it been in only BDUK areas?
[me=chrcoluk]looks at ignition for confirmation.[/me]
Personally I think this wont include ECI cabs, as they would have said it does to clear that up if it did.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

As I put in my previous post it's okay if it goes well but given the G.INP experience maybe they'd be better leaving well alone. I still think they should drop G.FAST and just restore FTTPoD with sensible pricing.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

FTTPoD has a massive amount of provisioning problems. It took ages to build infrastructure and on a lot of occasions my orders just got straight up rejected.
G.FAST in theory shouldn't be as bumpy so I hope it comes good.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
GeordieMark
Grafter

Quote from: chrcoluk

Personally I think this wont include ECI cabs, as they would have said it does to clear that up if it did.

I'm hoping it will (As I'm on one) but also surely OR are opening themselves up for a massive backlash if they roll it out to Huawei but not ECI cabs.
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: Andrue
given the G.INP experience maybe they'd be better leaving well alone. I still think they should drop G.FAST and just restore FTTPoD with sensible pricing.
+1
Yes,the FTTPoD  as is, Is just a rip off, the build costs are one thing , but the 3yr tie in and only one  product/speed option  customers should be able to order  different combinations  such as 150/150 or 100/50  instead of a poultry 30mbps upstream i'm sure many would readily trade off some of the downstream speed for extra upstream ,? But the all knowing/all seeing  BT don't see the importance for upstream speed , maybe because they don't like the idea of people sharing files at superfast speeds , or they are just plain dumb
NoZephy
Rising Star

I doubt they will make any sort of effort with vectoring, they seem to be focused on G.FAST.
Vectoring would of been nice but they screwed it up as soon as they started using different cabinets and not sticking to a specific model.
Screwed up G.INP implementation as well with their idiotic mix of cabinets and hardware, but don't worry they've 'fixed' it now! and destroyed a lot of people's upstream syncs in the process Grin
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Vectoring will be rolled out on Haewei cabinets soon this year but no date are given yet. Bad news for ECI cabinets as the vectoring might be holding on for longer for the rest of ECI.
@ MattyC I agree with FTTPoD is too expensive and not worth it. Vectoring then G.Fast will be successful by BTO by 2020.
stoswald
Grafter

28 copper wires on the pole outside my house  Cry
Andrue
Pro

And if one of them should fail, there'll be 27 copper wires on the pole outside your house.
It'll never catch on as a song Smiley
dick:quote
AndyH
Grafter

The ISP Review article is incorrect and I hope there will be some corrections in the morning.
Andrue
Pro

Last I heard BTor said no commercial vectoring roll-out but some use of vectoring in BDUK areas to help extend coverage.
Ignition said the same thing a while back:
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114211.msg1228452.html#msg1228452
It sounds to me like ISP Preview have got it wrong.
ericgripp
Grafter

haha what a joke, after seeing g.inp for 2 months only to have it removed for the foreseeable future, I doubt this will last long.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Who knows, for sure the isp portal has been wrong in the past also.
AndyH
Grafter

Openreach product managers are pretty sure it's still in the pilot phase (Openreach have been holding weekly phone calls with ISPs over the BDUK vectoring pilot).
It's a shame certain people misinterpret things, which seems fairly common on some other sites.