Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vectoring - Plusnet HomeHub One

markroxxy123
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Vectoring - Plusnet HomeHub One

Good Afternoon,

How do I know if vectoring is enabled on my line?

If it is enabled, some internet chatter suggests the plusnet supplied router may experience issues with vectoring. 

If this is true, can anyone recommend a modem-router that might be suitable to handle vectoring?

Some forums suggest using a Huawei HG612 modem (which is an old piece of kit usually branded with Openreach), but this would still require the purchase of a separate router as well.

I don't want to spend (potentially) £100-200 on something that isnt going to resolve the issue, so any up to date advice around

Plusnet and vectoring would be greatly appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
futurenet
Dabbler

Re: Vectoring - Plusnet HomeHub One

my fritzbox 7530 does vectoring and can do up to 300mbit too, shame my line cant handle more than 42 lol. but yes they good routers and go for about £50 on ebay

2021-02-12 (3).png

markroxxy123
Rising Star

Thanks -  I will take a look at ebay etc...

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Do you mean G.INP?, Vectoring is used to combat crosstalk and only used in Gfast connections and since Plusnet don't provide Gfast connections you won't get vectoring, don't go wasting your money on something you wouldn't be getting.

If you did mean G.INP however that can be had even with the Hub-One.  

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Vectoring IS used on a limited number of BDUK funded VDSL circuits to hit numbers able to get 30 mbps - it's enabled on mine and I sync at 120mbps at 300 metres from the cabinet, before vectoring I got 72 Mbps. I use a HG 612 as a modem with a HomeHub 5A flashed with OpenWRT as the router.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@flanzm  You are doing well to sync at 120Mbps because it is impossible, all Openreach VDSL2 lines are capped at a maximum of 80Mbps. Perhaps you are referring to the max attainable rate which is a  fictitious value calculated by the modem and not an actual speed.

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Yes sorry I mean attainable rate of 120 with sync of 80.
futurenet
Dabbler

vectoring also helps with error correcting, so it increases attainable speed as does g.inp

Terranova667
Pro

Vectoring does not help with error correction that is is what G.INP does Vectoring is noise cancellation ie for cross-talk

markroxxy123
Rising Star

Thanks for all the replies. I am connected to a BDUK Huawei cabinet, so I think I need to explore trying a different router and/or modem. Plusnet haven’t been able to explain over 4 faults submitted what is causing my low speeds which are constantly below the minimum guaranteed speed.

My only concern is how easy it is to use a different modem /router with plusnet.

The Fritz router is the free router issued by ZEN, so moving ISP might be the cheaper option just to get hold of the suggested router for free.
Terranova667
Pro

It's very easy to use a different Modem/router I change from the Hub-One to the TP-link VR600 AC2100 due to the HUB-One having major lag/rubber-banding issues with my kids PS5 even when he was using Ethernet, the TP-LInk fixed the issue no problem and it had Plusnet as one of its setup ISPs so just a case of picking Plusnet then entering in my Account name and password and it connected first go.   

markroxxy123
Rising Star

Plusnet have finally admitted to banding my line (this is after nearly year of fault reporting)

So I understand now what the process is. I didn’t know what banding was until my 4th fault was raised.

Plusnet automatically place banding (in effect speed capping) on customers broadband.

Wait for customer to raise fault.
Whilst fault is open, secretly remove banding without informing customer so that the speeds jump up to meet contractual obligations.
Fault is closed are speeds are now satisfactory.

Shortly afterwards place banding online again.
Customer raises second fault.
Engineer visit arranged to coincide with removing of banding.
Engineer confirms no fault on line and customer confirms speeds now satisfactory.
2nd fault is now closed.

Place on banding on line again.
3rd fault raised.
Customer told engineer visits I are now chargeable. Visits declined by customer.
Banding is lifted again, though only slight speeds increased, fault is closed as plusnet say nothing more can be done.

Banding placed on line again, but this time speeds reduced to below half of minimum guaranteed speed.
4th fault raised.
9 days later plusnet admit to banding and say it will take a couple of days to remove.
At the time of writing no reason for banding is given, but last contact indicates no fault exists.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Mav  Not sure what is going on here but the above post appears in this thread  (Message #7) and was not related to vectoring. 🤔

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Broadband-Availability-Checker-Minimum-Speed-Guarantee...