Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vastly different speeds on different laptops

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Vastly different speeds on different laptops

Have you tried changing wireless channel on the Hub One?  Try channels 1, 6 and 11 and see if the performance changes.
msowden22
Dabbler

Hi pwatson - thanks for the tip
Auto at 12:45pm
Download: 13.45  mbps
Upload: 9.91 mbps
Channel 1
Download: 18.36 mbps
Upload: 10.57 mbps
Channel 6
Download: 20.01 mbps
Upload: 10.52 mbps
Channel 11
Download: 17.66 mbps
Upload: 8.30 mbps
So if I switch to Channel 6 it is faster - even if its not anywhere near where it should be.
Any idea what this suggests is the problem?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Changing channel moves potentially moves you from a congested frequency so that explains the speed changes.  Your upload speed seems to have gone up to around 10Mbps whatever channels you're on though so I can't explain the 2Mbps you were getting before.
As I explained earlier, an 802.11g 54Mbps connection will max out at around 22Mbps throughput so the 20Mbps download you got is not too far off the mark.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there. Have you tried connecting your 'problematic' laptop to the 5Ghz WiFi? (You'll need to disable the sync with 2.4Ghz checkbox)
However, to be honest, it sounds like an issue with the wireless card in the laptop, I don't think that changing the channels will help much as the wireless seems to work fine on your other laptop.
Hopefully the 5G network will be better for you.
Edit: P.S. pwatson may be on to something here. If your laptop has 5G capability, I'd highly recommend trying that.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
msowden22
Dabbler

Ok thanks pwatson - so the issue is my wireless adapter in my laptop?
Is this something I can upgrade? (as I assume my other laptop must have a newer/better adapter to be getting a better download speed)
msowden22
Dabbler

Hi Anoush - I will try that too.
Whilst you are here, any idea why the auto (smart wireless) is giving me such reduced values compared to selecting a channel?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

You could upgrade to 802.11n, or even better, 802.11ac for even faster wireless
However, wireless N can provide a throughput of up to 50 Mbps (depending on wireless interference that is)
As for the automatic channel setting, it's also best to manually select a channel as automation can fail sometimes. If you download a program called "inSSIDer", you'll be able to find out which channel each wireless network in range is using, so you can change yours accordingly (avoiding the most used channels)
Hope this helps
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
msowden22
Dabbler

Thanks to you both - I've downloaded that program and it suggests to use channel 11.
This seems to be keeping my speed at a stable 20mbps (which sounds like the best I'm going to get until I update that wireless adapter)
Anoush - Can I suggest passing this information onto the tech support teams on live chat?
It seems to me that these two points (capability of the wireless adapter and channel interference) are things they should have known.
It was very poor customer service that I was told 'I don't know- see an expert' like I was - there wasn't even an attempt to help.
Thanks
Mark.
scottymc
Grafter

Hi
Glad your getting to the end of your problem
The laptop WiFi card is probably onboard , but you can by cheap  WiFi dongles that plug into your usb
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: msowden22
Thanks to you both - I've downloaded that program and it suggests to use channel 11.
This seems to be keeping my speed at a stable 20mbps (which sounds like the best I'm going to get until I update that wireless adapter)
Anoush - Can I suggest passing this information onto the tech support teams on live chat?
It seems to me that these two points (capability of the wireless adapter and channel interference) are things they should have known.
It was very poor customer service that I was told 'I don't know- see an expert' like I was - there wasn't even an attempt to help.
Thanks
Mark.

I'm glad that you're getting the best speed out of your wireless card now. Knowledge of wireless adapters isn't a requirement for tech agents as it isn't something we officially support, however they should be aware of changing channels to avoid wireless interference. If you PM me your username I'll pass on some feedback on Monday as they should provide at least some basic advice.