Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable Web Browsing Experience

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Variable Web Browsing Experience

I'm just wondering why I go through periods of fast, average and slow web browsing on Fibre Extra? Throughout my ds and us speeds stay constant according to speed test sites @ 75/18 but the speed of web browsing seems quite variable.
10 REPLIES 10
mrunderhill
Grafter

Re: Variable Web Browsing Experience

It could be the website you are accessing can't keep up with the traffic.
Or the wireless channel you are using is also being used by a neighbour(s)
http://www.howtogeek.com/197268/how-to-find-the-best-wi-fi-channel-for-your-router-on-any-operating-...
Or your DNS server isn't coping well - Use this to find a better DNS server https://code.google.com/p/namebench/
smh
Grafter

You could look at this recent thread,  if the OP matches your own experience: Web pages stall when loading
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Any pattern to these issues, time of day, specific sites or similar?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

So generally when I have periods of slowness all websites are affected. I find generally OpenDNS is fastest for me but I do sometimes switch to GoogleDNS when I suspect OpenDNS isn't performing as well as normal. The Plusnet DNS has never felt good to me. I don't use wireless, only LAN cabled connection. I have also noticed the web page load stall phenomenon. Only yesterday I was getting it where maybe 3/4 of a web page would load and Firefox would crash or IE would stop responding for a few minutes and then come back to life. Reading http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135270.0.html am I right in thinking the OP found the PlusNet Technicolor fibre router to be at fault? as that's what I have along with the Openreach ECI modem.
Alucidnation
Rising Star

I ditched the PN router for a better one, and things have improved considerably, although there are still occasions where pages still stall on loading.
But, still no response from PN yet as to the cause.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Is this http://www.dabs.com/products/tp-link-300mbps-wireless-n-cable-router-4-port-switch-77RJ.html?utm_sou... the kind of thing that would work with the Openreach ECI modem? Maybe the blue port on the back is a WAN port that could be used with PPPoE?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@woodm - it  certainly looks that way, and is very cheap.
If money is not an issue, I'd go for the TL-WDR3600 - it has 4 GBE ports and simultaneous dual-band wireless. I can also vouch for the fact that they work with the supplied OpenReach modems (both of them). They cost around £50-£60.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

@Jaggies - Thanks! I think I may make an investment here. Seems cheap for some HQ German tech. I've seen others mention the brand on the forum too. If I could stop the sluggishness and page freezing that would be great. It sucks paying for a TOTR product and being hindered by some inferior hardware.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I've sold mine on because I've now got a TP-Link TD-W9980 (a one box solution) but the guy who bought it (another PN user) says it is working fine. He mainly uses wireless because the phone line comes in upstairs, so that's where the modem was installed. He hasn't reported any dropouts.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

So I picked up a TP-Link WR841N at Argos at the beginning of the week for £19.99 (Amazon's best price was only £1 less so I thought I'd grab it that day) and connected it to my Openreach ECI modem. Setup-wise all I really had to provide was my PlusNet credentials and it detected and set everything else up itself.
I must say the WR841N's interface is shockingly fast, feature-rich and easy on the eyes compared to the Technicolor TG582n and my variable web browsing experience is much improved. I only really use LAN connections so I can't comment much on the wireless capabilities but my Windows Phone got a solid, fast connection to it when I hooked it up. Hope it stays that way 🙂