cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable Speeds?

rbaker10
Hooked

Variable Speeds?

For people who live in the 'big city,' with fast internet, maybe up to 38Mbps, they are living the dream and paying full price but where is the money going for people who don't get the 'up to' speeds?

Should there not be a discount for people with lower speeds?

9 REPLIES 9
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Variable Speeds?

Doesn't work like that, it's an up to the best speed that your line can manage and you pay the same as those who get the full speed.

rbaker10
Hooked

Hi, Thx, I know it doesn't quite work like that. I was just thinking that wouldn't it be a little cheeky for ISP's to charge this price if some are not capable of reaching a speed that others can. Should the price not be variable on what you can get in your area rather than what you can't get? What would be the point for paying full wack for something you can't get that others can get?

I am not condemning the ISP's for not delivering speed but for the price you pay, after all, you pay for what you get, in most cases otherwise, where is this money going for a service that we are not quite gaining?

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

You could say the same for those like myself that have seen their speeds drop due to Crosstalk and Line degrading I have gone from 65Mb down 12MB up when i first joined three years ago to 41Mb down 9Mb up today yet still paying the same price, personally i would rather have the speed back than a discount But I know OR will do jack about that. 

rbaker10
Hooked

Yeah, I know how you feel...

I very much doubt increasing your line speed will happen too soon until it reaches the minimum speed in your area but until they do, I think saving a little dosh would at least be a nice gesture on their part. Smiley

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Plusnet currently offer 3 speed ranges - up to 17, up to 38 & up to 76. How many more do you want?
rbaker10
Hooked

Huh...? The packages can stay the same, a discount can be applied to someone who doesn't reach quite of that than of others.

rbaker10
Hooked

It is a really crude example but say person A is buying a full chocolate bar, person B is only able to buy half a chocolate bar. Why should person B pay full price and only gain half than the other person is gaining?

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

That's fine if your guaranteed a certain amount but with fibre or broadband in general your not it's a estimated range a rough guess on what you may get and that's the loop hole that they have, as long as your within that range they have you just as they do with faults should one occur until the time that guaranteed sync figures are given ( which will never happen as it currently stands) nothing will change.

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

The cost of the fibre cabinet and infrastructure is the same to Openreach regardless of whether you get 38Mbps or 20 Mbps.
Openreach want fully populated cabinets so they get return on investment.
Say a cab provides 250 connections, in a densely populated urban area, nearly all those consumers are close enough to the cab to get 38+ Mbps. If you live in a more rural areas, those 250 connections are spread out over a larger area, therefore there is a higher proportion of consumers not getting the full 38mbs.