Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN

FIXED
costa23
Fixes: 1

VPN

Now everyone is being asked to look at installing VPN Plusnet's attitude "we do not support VPN" is astonishing.

I installed ExpressVPN and have issues with sending emails - receiving is fine. The problem is that server port 25 used by Plusnet for an SMPT outgoing server is blocked by VPN. I was asked to enquire whether Plusnet have additional steps for VPN connections and if there are specific port numbers to allow for their service when using VPN.

I went to online chat:

I have set up VPN with Expressvpn and am having difficulty with sending emails
Plusnet im so sorry however this is not something we can support ~

We do not support VPN'S im so sorry

Plusnet need to change this attitude.

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: VPN

Try using port 587 instead of 25.

edit: actually, thinking about it... Are you using smtp authentication ? you will need to if you are going via a VPN because your IP address will not be a PlusNet one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

costa23

ExpressVPN told me to try port 587 but it did not work. I have set up using SMPT authentication.

benfphillips
Grafter

What is it that you're sending emails VIA?

I can understand why support wouldn't support you with a VPN setup. They are not in control of another service providers network settings.

edit: also, check this. https://www.expressvpn.com/support/troubleshooting/email-problem/

If you can’t send emails while connected to the VPN, it could be because your email client application is using port 25, which is blocked on the ExpressVPN network to prevent spam. This can happen especially with old email applications. To resolve the issue:

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The Plusnet servers (relay.plus.net ) do work on port 587, I use them to send from various places when I'm on holiday.

With your VPN up , try telnetting to relay.plus.net, if it works then it's an authentication problem

telnet relay.plus.net 587

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

benfphillips
Grafter

SMTP 25 is blocked via VPN providers in many cases, quite sensibly, ExpressVPN are one of those.

With the greatest of respect the OP doesn't seem like someone who would have telnet installed, so I'm including this link to help.

https://www.technipages.com/windows-10-enable-telnet

Edit: I can connect to relay.plus.net 587 from my VPN provider, even when I'm coming from a VPN in Holland.

costa23

Fix

My outgoing mail server was set as SMPT.plus.net. Having changed to relay.plus.net I was able to set the outgoing server to 587 and send now works!

Thanks to all contributers.

benfphillips
Grafter

Good news man, obviously express VPN block access to port 25 so there was the problem. This is obviously done to prevent spammers. Even on shared hosting I only access people access to 25 if requested for a good reason.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Good news that you've got it sorted.

SMPT.plus.net

was that a typo ? or was it really smpt ? if so that was part of the problem, it should be smtp.

costa23

Typo!

smtp was the outgoing server I used for many years prefectly ok - only when it goes wrong you go back to basics

bopper27

Hi,

I work from home and log on to my works server by hard wiring direct into the router and connecting via BT mobile express and a GRAS token.  I have been using this without any issues since August 2017.  This week I have found that I cannot connect and get a connection error message.  I contacted PlusNet 3 times and all occasions I was told "we don't support VPN'S".  So something must have happened recently.  Does anyone know of a workaround for this?  I bought a new router so it's nothing to do with that.  Very frustrated by lack of help from PlusNet.