Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN to office not working since getting fixed IP address

FIXED
mistermjd
Hooked
Fixes: 1

VPN to office not working since getting fixed IP address

I've been working from home using VPN with Plusnet for years, no problem. This week I got a fixed IP address (for a different reason) - and now my VPN does not work. (L2TP/IPSec)

Our work VPN does not require my IP address to work, and another user has connected to my work login with no problem.

Plusnet firewall is 'off'.

Any ideas most welcome!

5 REPLIES 5
mistermjd
Hooked

Re: VPN to office not working since getting fixed IP address

Just got off the phone to Plusnet support, the guy basically said there's nothing they can do, go and find another supplier. So I will. (been with them 15+ years)

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

You say the your IP address isn't needed at the work end of the VPN. I find that odd to be honest as it's normal practice to ensure that only legitimate and invited users can connect and using IPs is part of the process.

If your IP is the only thing that has changed it does raise suspicions to the claim. It may be an idea to double check with the end point administrator.

mistermjd
Hooked

Thanks Mook, we are a small software company, my colleague and I administer everything! We did initially have the (new) IP address setup on the company router for the VPN - but it does work without that, so we have tried both ways. The (less secure) IP-less connection works from my colleague's address but not from mine. (But it does work here if I use my phone as a mobile hotspot).

mistermjd
Hooked

Fix

Solved - it was a configuration issue on the router at the office end (although not the IP address!) Thanks for your help.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Good to hear you got it sorted @mistermjd