cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN issue since switching to Hub One (from TG582n + Openreach modem)

simslid

VPN issue since switching to Hub One (from TG582n + Openreach modem)

Hi all,

Since getting our fibre (FTTC) connection about a year ago we've been using the BT Openreach modem and the Plusnet technicolor TG582n wifi router with no problems, including both myself and my wife connecting to our work VPNs.  Recently we renewed our contract and were pleased to receive the Plusnet Hub One (running Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1).

However, since swapping out the two boxes (tg582n and modem) for the Hub One, we've discovered that my wife's VPN connection no longer functions normally - the strange part of it is that it appears to connect and pass authentication but she can't ping any IP addresses on the corp network and after a few minutes, it disconnects.

Both of my VPN connections (PPTP and OpenVPN) work fine using the Hub One, and if I swap back to the old equipment, her VPN works just fine.

My wife uses Check Point VPN Secure Client and her corporate VPN issues an IP address in the 10.x.x.x range and I've seen some mentions online about the entire 10.0.0.0/8 subnet being "blocked" by the router, but I don't know if this is actually the case, nor can I find a solution!

Any ideas or pointers?

Thanks in anticipation!

Simon

3 REPLIES 3
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: VPN issue since switching to Hub One (from TG582n + Openreach modem)

The Hub One is a rebadged BT Home Hub 5 type 'A'.  I'm afraid the results from googling Checkpoint vpn and HH5A don't look good:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Home-Hub-5-VPN-issues-after-firmware-upgrade/td-...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/VPN-not-working-through-BT-Home-Hub-5/td-p/15765...

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You may have to wait until the morning, but @bobpullen may be able to help depending on the details of the problem.

simslid

Thanks both - it does sound like the Hub One isn't going to work for me - I've switched back to the old equipment for the moment and am leaning towards just buying a decent VDSL router.