cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Nightmare

juliamel

VPN Nightmare

Hello,

Any suggestions on accessing VPN through Cisco connect on my company laptop? Frustratingly I can’t get help from plusnet and everyone else in my office has no issues with this from their providers. I’m told by our IT team that the router plusnet sent may be blocking tunnelling. I have no idea what any of this means, I just want to be able to use my work laptop at home on occasion since I have a chronic illness which makes it hard to be in the office every day. Any help to put an end to this months long nightmare would be appreciated. Otherwise I’ll have to try my luck with BT! Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: VPN Nightmare

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help with your VPN problem, hopefully another member who can will come along.

However, if you find that your Hub One cannot be used, before you consider paying cancellation charges and going to another ISP you should consider asking your work colleagues what router they use. Unlike some ISPs Plusnet are quite happy for you to buy your own and give the necessary setting up information here  https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/.

This could be a much simpler and cheaper solution. .

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Try logging in to your router and in the advanced settings check to see if

VPN

Your Plusnet Hub has been designed to work with most virtual private network (VPN) software. If you’re having problems connecting, please try enabling port clamping by clicking the ‘Yes’ button to see if this fixes your problem.
Port clamping enable: Option Yes for enable port clamping is unselectedOption No for enable port clamping is selected
Port clamping sets the Internet key exchange to UDP port 500, rather than allowing a floating port.
This is sometimes required by older virtual private network (VPN) Clients.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@juliamel AFAIK there is no basic problem with the Hub one and VPN. There are some issues with some vpn software and certain PN IP ranges. TBH I'm not sure whether it's a routing or geolocation problem but most of the time a change of IP fixes the problem. You could try leaving the router disconnected for about an hour , that usually forces a change of public IP. The other option is to request a static IP ( there is a one off charge of £5 ) as these are from a completely different IP range and do not suffer from the issues above.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I have static IP and haven't had issues with Cisco Any Connect, which is what I'm assuming you're using.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi,

Have you checked the firewall settings in the members centre?

Broadband > Broadband Firewall.

Needs to be set to LOW or OFF.

Dan.