cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN - Complete novice

bobchris

VPN - Complete novice

I am intending to install VPN on my pc.If I buy a package from a highly rated supplier will it just work or do I need to make any adjustments to my Hub One router ? Having looked at VPN related posts I'm not sure if I have the skills necessary. I want to install it so I can use my pc and ipads securely whilst out and about.  

8 REPLIES 8
anparkinson

Re: VPN - Complete novice

Duplicated. See my post below.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@bobchris

Most of the "for sale" vpn which only install on your PC do not need to do anything to the router.

The best way to check is once you have decided who you are buying the VPN services from, ask them before purchase how to set it up on your type of PC. And check out their money back guarantee or minimum contract length too. 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
anparkinson

The best way is to get a router that lets you setup your own VPN for free. I use the Draytek 2860.

Much faster than a supplied VPN service and completely free.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Or don't use insecure, open, public WiFi.....
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Ummm pfsense on an old machine!

jrilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@anparkinson is there a guide on how to do this? I have a Draytek 2760 and would be interested in giving it a go.

GeneralRAAM

Alright there is more than one question and i'll asnwer them bit by bit.

1. Yeah, most of the providers i can think of, have apps which are really easy to setup. Although each app is different because the manufacturer is different but they're all easy to pick up.

2. In most cases, they'll work for just about everything. (I'll come back to it)

3. You can also get credentials from the provider and then use those over a manual connection (you can create manual connection using windows network and sharing option through a dialer) (for that you'll need credentials and the server list.)

4. Regarding setting up your router, if you find it hectic, you can always get on the live chat with your provider's support team and ask them to help you out. In my case, i had ivacy vpn configured over my vmdg480 by their support remotely, through teamviewer. they asked me for remote access and configured all of it in front of me. so that's always an option if you feel it's out of your skill level

bobchris

Thanks to all who have taken the time to read, consider and respond (including PM response) to my post.

I just wanted to give some background to this subject.

Late one Monday evening my internet went down and stayed down for nearly a week.

Because I needed to get online whilst I could not use my own internet I used the internet at a local shop and a local pub.It was only then that I realised how insecure these (potentially) could be as prior to this I had no need to use them.

My knowledge of VPN is virtually nil and that is the reason I am considering an "off the shelf" solution as I do not consider myself capable of setting things up myself. It is quite possible that my home internet could go down again and do not want to be in the position where I cannot go on a publc network without decent security.

Sorry to be so long winded but I now realise that my initial post asked a question that was far too narrow.