cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP with works phone

bbenson

VOIP with works phone

Hi everyone, I just plugged my works phone into my router and I can make calls, however. I keep getting multiple calls  (almost constantly) but when I answer there is no one there. Anyone know why this is happening and how I can stop it? 

thanks

Brian

2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: VOIP with works phone

Its caused by sip 'probes' trying to find vulnerable voip devices. Using the plusnet router, I'm afraid theres not much you can do to prevent it. If you have an active sip  connection, then the router will allow sip packets from anywhere.

As a start you might consider a replacement router with the ability to disable the sip alg.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: VOIP with works phone

Depending on the model of phone it may be possible to tell it to only accept inbound calls from a specific SIP server. You will probably need admin access to the phone settings to do so.

Search for "VOIP ghost calls" together with your phone model and see if there are any configuration suggestions.