Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDSL2 Line Speed Very Slow

FIXED
Weedo

VDSL2 Line Speed Very Slow

Hi All

I'm currently experiencing very slow broadband speeds and wondered if it's something I've caused and whether it will fix itself given time.

I've had a FTTC connection for a long time now and seemed to get decent speeds of around 32-35 Mbps downstream and 14-15 Mbps upstream. Testing the speed several times per day for the last few days and it is now no better than 14Mbps downstream and 9Mbps upstream.

I'm not sure if this started the problems but I had a failing Billion router that kept dropping the internet signal, even though the DSL light on the BT modem was alight and steady. I replaced this with the provided plusnet router and everything seemed ok with the signal. This is when I started to test the speed - a few days ago.

Since then I've replaced the BT modem and plusnet router with a single modem/router (TP-Link Archer VR900) and have experienced the same slow speeds. Although I've also noted the internet dropping out a few times.

I'm now wondering whether the constant signal dropping by my old Billion router together with my changing of modem/router has caused the line to be slowed down and whether this will come back. And if so, how many days of stable use does this take?

As an aside, I've checked the line stats over the last few days and getting similar results each time. Upstream numbers noted first.

Current Rate (kbps)  8495  13095

Max Rate (kbps)      13764  39149

SNR Margin (dB)     9.3      16.6

Line Attenuation     20.4     31.4

I'm only about 150-200m from the cabinet so not sure why I have such a high Attenuation figure. Is this set by the system (based on my recent connection issues)? Or is it an actual measurement of line degradation (worrying)?

Any advice or assistance is appreciated

5 REPLIES 5
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: VDSL2 Line Speed Very Slow

If it was only the Internet side (PPP session) dropping, then it shouldn't have affected your sync with the Cab. But to be clear, when you've said Internet dropping are you connected by Wireless or Ethernet, because if the former it could be your Wireless dropping.
That said looking at the stats, clearly something is wrong with the connection to the Cab. I take it from your comment about having been on Fibre for a long time you are on the 40/10 product and with your distance from the Cab, it ought to be nearly maxing out the sync which it is not.
As you have swapped modem(/router)s and still getting the same speeds, I can only assume that you sync speeds have been similar. Whilst it's possible the sync speed has been banded, the current sync is below the 15Mbps banded speed, and the attenuation does seem rather high.

Just to check some basics, do you have an NTE5a Master Socket with a vDSL SSFP fitted (Modem socket on top, phone on bottom) and the modem/router is plugged into the top one? Do you have any extension sockets? Have you altered any wiring/sockets/where you are connected since when things seemed ok?

If all above is OK, my suspicion is a line fault. Can you hear any audible noise - crackling etc on the phone line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls? Try the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2 if need be.

Weedo

Thanks for the response

In answer to your questions.

I'm connected via Ethernet. When I say 'internet dropping', I'm detecting this from the disappearing dsl light on the modem/router (plus no internet to PC on ethernet/wifi of course Smiley ).

Yes I'm on the 40/10 product.

I do have an NTE5a master socket - provided last year when fibre was installed.

I'm actually using an extension (probably about 15m long). It is a Cat 6 exterior cable connected to the terminals inside the master socket, terminating in an ethernet socket elsewhere in the house. Another Cat 6 cable (0.5m) from this socket to the modem. I've checked the wiring at both ends and everything appears to be ok. I've also tried another cat 6 cable at the modem end, just to make sure that wasn't the issue. All installed last summer and working fine till now.

As a final check I plugged the modem/router directly into the master socket and checked speeds again using an ethernet connected laptop. Same slow speed from here also.

Did a quiet line check and this was fine also. Phone line also working ok for calls.

Update

Noticed this morning, on the router stats, that there was a number of Packet Errors reported. 2 upstream and 13 downstream. System log did not have any internet drop outs at all though.

Anotherone
Champion

Fix

I would raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net as the speed is certainly below the acceptable limits.

Anotherone
Champion

I would raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net. That speed is well below acceptable limits.

Weedo

Thanks for the responses, Anotherone

A fault on the line was confirmed and was corrected today.