cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDSL half the speed of ADSL

rusty98

VDSL half the speed of ADSL

A week ago i moved to Plusnet and their Fibre Package - it was a bit of a gamble as both ADSL and Fibre showed a predicted speed of between 1 - 5 Mbps  so all being equal i thought i would opt. for Fibre in the hope it might be quicker than my current ADSL 2+ which was 6 Mbps. Sadly the gamble hasn't paid off and for some reason i am now sitting a week later at around 2.8 Mbps so half what i was previously getting from ADSL.

I know i don't have an issues on my Line as the BT engineer ran a number of tests when installing the new socket last week and he said they all passed OK. 

Is they something Plusnet can do to check my profile or DLM isn't affecting the speed and as such it's being slowed down please.

Regards Ian.

4 REPLIES 4
rusty98

Re: VDSL half the speed of ADSL

Actually just looking at my account i noticed a section about speed:

Estimated line speed:5Mb (This may vary between 2.2Mb and 5.7Mb) - Checked on 2017-11-02 19:57:43Current line speed:3 Mb

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

As you have found out with those sort of estimates ADSL is likely to be better than FTTC, which deteriorates severely at long distances from the cabinet.

rusty98

Agreed - although my upload speed has doubled from what it was on ADSL and my download has halved?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

As you say yourself you gambled and it hasn't worked, the upload speed is not really relevant if your download is so poor. I would go back to ADSL2+, it is very unlikely that Plusnet or BT Openreach can do anything to improve your speeds.Sad