cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using tg582n as sole wireless access point?

FIXED
figgley
Grafter

Using tg582n as sole wireless access point?

Back again.

Forgive me if this topic has already been done to death but, having read as much as my limited attention span will allow, I'm still unsure of the exact actions I might need to take.

I'm no tekky but am quite handy with a Whitworth spanner.

Here's the scenario: I may wish to wire the, recently pensioned-off, TG582n to the Hub One and place it upstairs where the two (wireless g) laptops are positioned. This new location for the wireless AP could well benefit the printer connection (which is downstairs) due to the lesser number of brick walls in the way. (This place is a "Chalet Bungalow" with several ground floor extensions, the printer being in one of them.)

So, I'd be looking at turning off all wireless on the Hub One (5GHz already disabled) and plugging-in the TG582n to one of the LAN ports. That much I'm sure of.

Questions:

1) Should I first poke something into the Technicolor to reset to factory spec?

2) DHCP - On which device should I disable DHCP; Hub One, TG582n or both?

3) Current DHCP on Hub One is 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253. Do I place the new AP (TG582n) inside or outside of this range?

It's all a bit of a mind fark but I look forward to being enlightened.

Cheers, figgley.

2 REPLIES 2
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Using tg582n as sole wireless access point?

Fix

Please read

https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Broadband/thread-id/180150/

So 2) turn off DHCP on the TG582N

3) give the TG582N a fixed static IP outside of the Hub One ranges so try 192.198.1.50

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
figgley
Grafter

Re: Using tg582n as sole wireless access point?

OK. Thanks @SpendLessTime

*starts drilling holes*