cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 'phone stops broadband working

bodieandmal
Dabbler

Using 'phone stops broadband working

I have a new phone and broadband installation, put in 5 days ago, and have realised there are issues with the broadband dropping out every time the phone is used.  Instead of loading a new page, for example. the browser hangs for a while then opens a page that seems to have come from the router informing me of Error 3, sometimes Error 4.  To resolve this each time I either have to wait until a while after the phone call has finished, or restart the Plusnet router.
The installation we have provides a main socket to which a cordless phone is connected and an extension socket to which the modem/router combination is connected.  There is a micro filter fitted between the extension socket and the modem, but no filter between the main socket and the phone.  I saw a suggestion in another thread that the presence or positioning of the micro filter might be the cause.
Has anyone else had this issue, and if so how was it resolved?
30 REPLIES 30
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Using 'phone stops broadband working

You must have a filter between the socket and the phone
bodieandmal
Dabbler

OJ, does that mean that the filter is in the wrong place then?  That it should be between the main socket and the phone, and not between the extension socket and the modem?  Or shoud there be two filters?  The set-up at present is how it was left by the Open Reach engineer who did the installation.
dick:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is this an ADSL or a fibre (FTTC) installation?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bodieandmal
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
Is this an ADSL or a fibre (FTTC) installation?

Ah, yes, it is a fibre installation, so I've asked this question in the wrong place?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Moved to the right place
Something isn't right
What does the master socket look like - it is like one of these http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

The set-up at present is how it was left by the Open Reach engineer who did the installation.
Sounds like the installation wasn't done properly. Th engineer should have fitted a filtered faceplate to the master socket so that the phone does not require to be connected via a filter. If he fitted the extension then it should have been a 'data' extension which has an RJ11 socket for the modem to be connected directly ( and would not allow a filter to be connected ). For the time being , you need to connect the phone via another filter to the master socket.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bodieandmal
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
What does the master socket look like - it is like one of these http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml

Thanks for moving the post!
Both sockets look like the NTE5.  The filter is described on the back as an "ADSL Filter" and has two outlet sockets, one marked for a "Phone" and one marked "ADSL Modem".  The modem is labelled underneath as Model: EchoLife HG612,  Type FTTC VDSL NTE.
bodieandmal
Dabbler

Quote from: MisterW
Th engineer should have fitted a filtered faceplate to the master socket so that the phone does not require to be connected via a filter. If he fitted the extension then it should have been a 'data' extension which has an RJ11 socket for the modem to be connected directly ( and would not allow a filter to be connected ). For the time being , you need to connect the phone via another filter to the master socket.

What should a filtered faceplate look like?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In which case the engineer did completely the wrong job and you need a filter in both sockets
Re the filtered faceplate - a standard one is the one on the right of the 3 on my link http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml but the one they use for fibre should look like this http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Did you request the data extension kit when you placed your order?
bodieandmal
Dabbler

I did, yes.  The engineer seemed a bit disgruntled when he arrived, and realised he had to replace the overhead line into our property, and then deal with faults between the pole and the green box, and another between the green box and the exchange, or so he said.  By the time he got back to the house to do the internal cabling he did not seem happy, especially after I told him I wanted an extension as well.  So he may well not have been allocated enough time to do the job he ended up having to do..
dick:quote
bodieandmal
Dabbler

I have now, as a test, connected the phone to the single filter via an extension cable, and made a test phone call.  This time the broadband seemed to be fine, pages loading as normal.  So it looks like it is a filter or wrong faceplate issue.  I'll give the present lash up a day or so to make sure it remains OK then get back to Plusnet for another filter, or a changed main socket.
Thanks everyone for your input.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I did start "I'll be interested in the outcome here", but intervening posts have made that redundant; instead a cautionary note:
My son has recently moved house and had BT self-install fibre resulting in a similar problem though, as the previous occupants used Virgin, he has crazy setup of a LJU plate and a "plug-in" (?flat) cable as an extension to rat-tail filter then phone and modem Shocked Roll_eyes
The sync also drops when the ring stops at disconnect for an incoming with just a rat-tail filter and modem connected at the master Crazy
Phil
I did comment before he went ahead with the installation!
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: bodieandmal
then get back to Plusnet for another filter, or a changed main socket.

No, not for another filter! The engineer has totally fouled up your installation, you need to get Plusnet to book another engineer to do the installation properly.