Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using own router on Fibre

jamch
Dabbler

Using own router on Fibre

Hello,
I'm due to have Fibre installed on Monday and am looking at possible set ups.
I'm sure I can use my own router (Apple Time Capsule) - however would this completely replace the Plusnet provided router - or would I still need to include that in the setup somewhere?
I'm hoping I can just go from the Modem that the engineer will install direct to Time Machine router. From what I can tell from the box that arrived yesterday the Netgear router is technically just a Cable router - same as the Time Capsule.
I've just moved out from my parents house who had Virgin Media cable and I just connected their Cable modem directly to my router - Is this going to be the same kind of situation here?
Thanks for any advice.
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Using own router on Fibre

You're right, you should be able to use the Time capsule to replace the Netgear router. You will need to configure the time capsule WAN for a PPPOE connection using your PlusNet login details.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rmharrison
Dabbler

Quote from: jamch
Hello,
I'm due to have Fibre installed on Monday and am looking at possible set ups.
I'm sure I can use my own router (Apple Time Capsule) - however would this completely replace the Plusnet provided router - or would I still need to include that in the setup somewhere?
I'm hoping I can just go from the Modem that the engineer will install direct to Time Machine router. From what I can tell from the box that arrived yesterday the Netgear router is technically just a Cable router - same as the Time Capsule.
I've just moved out from my parents house who had Virgin Media cable and I just connected their Cable modem directly to my router - Is this going to be the same kind of situation here?
Thanks for any advice.

Can you let me know how you got on as I have just upgraded to Fiber and have opted out of the router on the bases of this post as i already have a Time Capsule
Thanks
Rich
jonathandgreen

I'm aware that this is a really old post, though as no one definitively confirmed this works, I thought I would.
When connected to the Openreach modem, I reset the Airport Extrme, then configured it via the AirPort Utility. This detects a PPOE connection is required and prompts for the user name and password. In my experience, no other manual configuration is required.
Hope this helps.