cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my Billion 7800DXL rather than a supplied router/modem?

Routefinder
Grafter

Re: Using my Billion 7800DXL rather than a supplied router/modem?

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@Routefinder wrote:

Re: where to buy ~ I found this 'normal' etailer who I have used in the past to buy memory cards, so would be more comfortable when (if???) I go ahead to buy from them than eBay!

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/bt-openreach-huawei-vdsl-fttc-fibre-modem-refurbished-hg612-3b.html?utm_s...

But they say this in the description:-

- BBU Port (Hidden) 
- LAN 2 Port (Hidden) 

Now are these ports hidden by a label or behind solid plastic as 'unrevealed' ports during the manufacturing?

The normally unused ports are only hidden with a label.

Looking at your favoured supplier I note that there is no mention of a power supply. It might just be worth checking that one is included.

It is only logical to unlock it if you are interested in monitoring or logging WAN performance. It will work quite happily without.

One final thing to watch out for, I used mine with an Asus N55U router. This had the same default admin IP address as the Huawei modem. I found it easiest to change the Asus IP address to 192.168.1.2. I understand that the Billion uses 192.168.1.254 so this will not be an issue for you.

Thanks for the ports insight.

The pictures on the supplier website do show a power brick and a DSL cable................but for sure worth confirming what will be in the pacakge!

Yes, the Billion does not use the 192.168.1.1 as the default address.  I  also have some fixed rather than DHCP addresses for connected kit so for peace of mind will double check I had not used that low number?

In regard to unlocking?  Nice to know that it will work straight out of the box, though I do like to monitor things so might/will/would/ unlock it for monitoring.

Next step ~ work out my costs (I earn much less now than I did when I first looked at Fibre) but as mentioned in my OP there is a definite need/benefit that only Fibre will answer.   See whether the CSC Options can sweeten the deal......etc to get this sorted Cheesy