cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my Billion 7800DXL rather than a supplied router/modem?

Routefinder
Grafter

Using my Billion 7800DXL rather than a supplied router/modem?

Hi

It has been a while since I last posted about switching to Fibre as I have been sticking with ADSL because I had yet to justify the doubling of my costs to get Fibre but now just want to check something (again?) before I ask CSC Options team what they might be able to offer me (if anything) to sweeten the deal Wink

I have my Billion 7800DXL router which I have been more than happy with, it keeps great uptime connections currently >73 days and is capable of doing PPPoE as needed to utilise Fibre........................so will PN supply just a suitable modem to use with my Billion Router for the Fibre connection if requested???

Lastly(?) in regard to the Fibre Unlimited package ~ at this stage I have no wish to transfer the phone line (BT now) so would just need the Fibre service but can anyone confirm what I read about the "up to 38MB download speed" now has up to 20MB upload speed?  The UL speed is key for me as I want to use Cloud storage for a large number of big image files!

Incidently, can any CSC agent looking at this let me know if they are able to test my line and advise what sort of Fibre DL & UL speeds I would be likely get???

TIA Smiley

15 REPLIES 15
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Using my Billion 7800DXL rather than a supplied router/modem?

@Routefinder wrote:

...............so will PN supply just a suitable modem to use with my Billion Router for the Fibre connection if requested???

I think the simple answer is no!  They will supply the standard Plusnet hub 1 combined modem / router.  You should be able to find a suitable ex BT Modem on Ebay? 

can anyone confirm what I read about the "up to 38MB download speed" now has up to 20MB upload speed? 

The current product has 'up to 9.5 Mbs' upload see here

are able to test my line and advise what sort of Fibre DL & UL speeds I would be likely get???

You can check this yourself, just input your number here@  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

they will provide a hub1 for post/package charge - you won't get a modem

the standard fibre is 40/10

it isn't possible to test the line for likely fibre speeds as the cab isn't connected - this is what they use http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

edit someone types too slowly

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If you want to stick with your Billion router then buy a Huawei HG612 Model 3B from Ebay. Do not be tempted to get the ECI alternative. The HG612 can be unlocked to enable you to monitor the LAN link.

PN offer two alternative VDSL speeds, 40/10 or 80/20. I understand that they are reluctant to provision the 80/20 product unless you can achieve greater than 40Mbps download, which can be frustrating if you are primarily concerned with maximising upload speed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Routefinder
Grafter

Thanks for the replies and insights.

The checker tells me this 

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 54 37.7 11.5 7.2 34.6 Available -- -- Yes --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 43.8 28.4 10 5.3 23.7 Available -- -- Yes --

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- -- -- --

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available -- -- -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap U              
VRI N              
NTEFaceplate N              
Last Test Date 17-05-2017          

And for the record on my ADSL I get >3Mbps download speed and the cabinet is approx 500yards away from the house Wink

As for the modem.........looks likes I will have to resort to the Bay, not my first choice ~ anyone know of reliable suppliers?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

Routefinder
Grafter

@Baldrick1 I have looked up the Huawei HG612 Model 3B you mention but wondered if there is a suitable equivalent with a Gigabit socket not just the 10/100 Huh

TIA Smiley

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

since it is only a modem not a router why would you want Gbit

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

As @Oldjim says, No need for GB if your router has GB ethernet, Also keeping both items seperate pays if you like tinkering with router firmware builds on your router, you just leave the DSL session up while you mess about.

Routefinder
Grafter

@Oldjim wrote:

since it is only a modem not a router why would you want Gbit

Fair comment...............just like everything same connection Smiley  Silly really Crazy2

Routefinder
Grafter

@30FTTC06 wrote:

As @Oldjim says, No need for GB if your router has GB ethernet, Also keeping both items seperate pays if you like tinkering with router firmware builds on your router, you just leave the DSL session up while you mess about.

See above Wink

Looking on the Kitz site I see that to access the HG612 GUI you need to connect a second ethernet cable.......I have very limited cable run space i.e. just enough to run a single CAT5 not two runs Sad  

Hmmmm! unless I can put the HG in the same room as the router and run the DSL cable up to "it" or is it absolutely necessary that the HG lives with a metre of the telephone point??? 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Not really silly when g.Fast can easily exceed 100Mbs.
Routefinder
Grafter

Re: where to buy ~ I found this 'normal' etailer who I have used in the past to buy memory cards, so would be more comfortable when (if???) I go ahead to buy from them than eBay!

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/bt-openreach-huawei-vdsl-fttc-fibre-modem-refurbished-hg612-3b.html?utm_s...

But they say this in the description:-

- BBU Port (Hidden) 
- LAN 2 Port (Hidden) 

Now are these ports hidden by a label or behind solid plastic as 'unrevealed' ports during the manufacturing?

If I go ahead in anticipation of going Fibre is it logical to then go ahead and unlock it (surmising that it is locked?) and learn its GUI?  NB would just need to read all on the Kitz site and based on my speed reading of it so far, flashing it with something refered to as the Howling Wolf Firmware

30FTTC06
Pro

If it helps I just pulled my old ECI out to have a look and it just has Plastic Tape covering both ports.

30FTTC06
Pro

@Routefinder wrote:

@30FTTC06 wrote:

See above Wink

Looking on the Kitz site I see that to access the HG612 GUI you need to connect a second ethernet cable.......I have very limited cable run space i.e. just enough to run a single CAT5 not two runs Sad  

Hmmmm! unless I can put the HG in the same room as the router and run the DSL cable up to "it" or is it absolutely necessary that the HG lives with a metre of the telephone point??? 

You can do it over the Wan Wire.......

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Routefinder wrote:

Re: where to buy ~ I found this 'normal' etailer who I have used in the past to buy memory cards, so would be more comfortable when (if???) I go ahead to buy from them than eBay!

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/bt-openreach-huawei-vdsl-fttc-fibre-modem-refurbished-hg612-3b.html?utm_s...

But they say this in the description:-

- BBU Port (Hidden) 
- LAN 2 Port (Hidden) 

Now are these ports hidden by a label or behind solid plastic as 'unrevealed' ports during the manufacturing?

The normally unused ports are only hidden with a label.

Looking at your favoured supplier I note that there is no mention of a power supply. It might just be worth checking that one is included.

It is only logical to unlock it if you are interested in monitoring or logging WAN performance. It will work quite happily without.

One final thing to watch out for, I used mine with an Asus N55U router. This had the same default admin IP address as the Huawei modem. I found it easiest to change the Asus IP address to 192.168.1.2. I understand that the Billion uses 192.168.1.254 so this will not be an issue for you.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'