Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an openreach modem decreases speed

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Using an openreach modem decreases speed

I fished out an old Huawei 3B Openreach modem and hooked it up and connected etc..

Ran a speedtest before hooking up the openreach modem and my hub one was syncing at 55mb on speedtest.net and BT wholesale and upload of 13mb.

Once using the modem, my download speed decreased to 47mb BUT my upload increased to 14mb Shocked

Anyone know why this is?

I'll give it a week on the modem and if no improvements I'll revert to the original set up.

Thanks

Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
7 REPLIES 7
ray_dorset
Grafter

Re: Using an openreach modem decreases speed

Have you got any stats from the HG612?

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Unfortunately not.
It is an unlocked HG612 but I cannot access the UI despite changing computer IP to 192.168.1.100 etc.

NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
ray_dorset
Grafter

Probably best to unlock it again as without stats it would just be a guess

bugs4me
Grafter

There does seem to be a problem with the BTOR modem throttling speeds but it's not an exact science - oh if only. I ditched the BTOR modem and went for the all in one Billion 8800NL. The Broadcom chipset of the Billion works fine on my antiquated copper wiring.

But and it is a big BUT, it's all a hit and miss situation in my experience.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

@ray_dorset wrote:

Probably best to unlock it again as without stats it would just be a guess

I've tried to but no success. 

@bugs4me wrote:

There does seem to be a problem with the BTOR modem throttling speeds but it's not an exact science - oh if only. I ditched the BTOR modem and went for the all in one Billion 8800NL. The Broadcom chipset of the Billion works fine on my antiquated copper wiring.

But and it is a big BUT, it's all a hit and miss situation in my experience.

Might be the case, I gave up using the BTOR modem and went back to the all-in-one set up after a few complaints this evening! Crazy3

Thanks

NE

ray_dorset
Grafter

Oh I know what you mean about unlocking. I have one PC that does the unlock no trouble but my main PC won't even recognise that the reset button has been held in since power-on. I'm sure it's something to do with Ghostery or windows defender but ... !?!

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Will try on the Mac in the morning. 

NE