cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a different wifi router

agentgonzo
Grafter

Using a different wifi router

I've just upgraded to fibre ( Cheesy ) and got the thomson t582n (fibre) supplied. I'm having trouble with wifi not being fast enough in the house as the router only uses the 2.4GHz spectrum. Do I have to use the plusnet/thomson router or can I plug in another wifi router that supports 5GHz? If so, what do I need to do to set it up? Does the thomson router have the credentials to connect to the WAN or is that all handled via the BT fibre router and the thomson router is just a standard WIFI router performing DHCP with a public WAN IP address?
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Using a different wifi router

you need a router that will support pppoe with a wan port - the credentials are stored in the router. the bt box is only a modem and not a router.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
agentgonzo
Grafter

Thanks!
antwan

sorry for jumping thread but does anybody know if it is possible to use the BT hub5 which is designed for BT infinity and is the openreach modem still req'd?
Thanks for any advise  Wink Wink
adie:quote
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

welcome to the forum Smiley
yes you can use it and it doesn't require to use the or modem,

there are a few threads about it.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
SteadVex
Grafter

i'm using a tplink W9980 with built in VDSL model..
works a treat, until a few hours ago and now the internet has gone down again, was up for 21 days without error (and iv'e tried the open reach modem to see if that connects)
I've setup a home hub 5 with fibre - open reach modem, and i'd seriously recommend against it, seems to suffer from the same fate of previous home hubs of just becoming unstable after a few months. lucky if it lasts a week without needing to reboot it!, although as an isp supplied all in one device, if you forgive the need to reboot its quite good!
AndyT
Grafter

Hi SteadVex,
Sorry for the loss of service last night, I can see that your connection returned at around 10pm and has remained stable since.  There's no obvious reason why the service dropped, there have been no reports of outages at your exchange etc. but I'm hopeful that this was an isolated incident.  I can leave the fault ticket open on your account if you'd like so the faults team can check your connection over the next 24-48 hours?