Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using TP TD-W9980 with Fibre

Brian1957
Hooked

Using TP TD-W9980 with Fibre

Hi

I'm currently a Plusnet ADSL user and use a TD-w9980 router which is dual ADSL/VDSL. All working fine.

im shortly going to be upgraded to Fibre. I have been sent a Hub One router but wish to continue using my TP-Link one if I can.

as far as I'm aware, I just need to change the input type to VDSL on the router and make the VID 101. The login settings stay the same.

is this right ? Is there anything else I need to do ? I assume I can use the existing internet cable and splitter or do I need to use the one supplied with the Hub One ?

I've tried looking on the forums but there doesn't seem to be a specific question that covers this.

many thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Using TP TD-W9980 with Fibre

Your operating mode should already be xDSL, so the parameters may change when the line drops and restarts as VDSL - I was already on VDSL when I got mine, so cannot be sure. If not, PlusNet should be in the quick setup list if the software is up to date.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Brian1957
Hooked

Phil

thanks for reply. But what does it mean ? Am I right or wrong ?

yes, I'm already on ADSL but assume it needs to be changed to VDSL as mentioned in my post.

Thanks

Brian

mikewalsh
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi 

You need to run through the quick setup 

Ensure you are on xdsl mode

Choose Plusnet from the list of providers which should set vid 101 for you

Plusent username ie user@plusdsl.net password (these may already be set)

Your wireless settings should be the same - if you are using PN TV set igmp snooping to on

Job done.

Regards

Mike

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think the TD-W9980 is not a particularly good choice these days, due to its lack of support for vectoring.

run187
Dabbler

Go to quick setup it will then say xdsl router mode click next again ,pick vdsl_plusnet making sure you have the latest 16025 fw ,click next again put all details in should then be finished .

You can also do it yourself got to network,wan setup delete the current connection should be the then old adsl one ,then click add ,click enable vlan id 101 put details in should then work ..

run187
Dabbler

@ejs wrote:

I think the TD-W9980 is not a particularly good choice these days, due to its lack of support for vectoring.

Do bt even support that on there lines .I think the beta fw supports vectoring ,makes zero diffrence to my speed ..

mikewalsh
Rising Star

Since we already have the W9980 - which for me is stable and provides decent performance I am not about to rush out and spend big bucks on the latest vectoring capable modem on the off chance that BT will install it in my area the near future !

Regards

kitz
Aspiring Pro

As others have said, it will work fine for now.

>> I've tried looking on the forums but there doesn't seem to be a specific question that covers this

Does this help? 

TD-W9980 QuickSetup

TP-Link TD-W9980 & TD-W9970 Web GUI

Below are screen shoots from the Web GUI for the TP-Link TD-W9980. The TD-W9970 is very similar.

This guide should help you set up your TP-Link TD-W9980 or TD-W9970 for FTTC. (BT Openreach Fibre in the UK)

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Sorry kitz, this post of yours was stuck in the spam filter.

Brian1957
Hooked

Many thanks to all who have replied. Appreciated. I believe I now know what to do ! As a side issue I really don't know what "vectoring" would do for me so I'm not worried as to whether the router can handle it or not - don't bother explaining it to me; it will only confuses me ! Thanks again. Brian
mikewalsh
Rising Star

Hi Brian

Vectoring sounds technical but is merely a new system to prevent cross interference in the cable box. I guess when it is more widely available TPlink will issue a firmware upgrade. This is currently achieved using. G.inp. to ensure this is working properly you should download the latest firmware (160120) from the Tplink website - download to your computer and extract the .bin file to your desktop. Log in to your router go to uprade firmware in the last section browse to your desktop and click on the .bin file the upgrade will be installed and your computer will reboot. Your settings should not change.

Regards

Mike

Brian1957
Hooked

Thanks Mike
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Vectoring is a technology that improves the speed of everyone on your cabinet, but for it to work best, it requires everyone on your cabinet to be using equipment that supports it. We're already starting to see a few people with vectoring in use, it may be more likely to be deployed at more recently installed FTTC cabinets, or cabinets where BT want to use "long reach" VDSL2 due to lots of long lines on a cabinet.

Devices that don't support vectoring not only won't get the best speeds themselves, but may also be slowing down other people's lines.

The TD-W9980 is a fairly old model now, and it is unlikely to receive a firmware update that adds vectoring support. Not because of any limitations of the hardware, but for software licensing (patent royalties) reasons probably.