cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using TP LINK W 8980 router for fiber

keggers

Using TP LINK W 8980 router for fiber

Hi there, I'm currently on adsl but due to get fiber from plusnet on Monday, I would prefer to keep my current router listed in the subject rather than the plusnet offering.. I understand the TP 8980 router has a Ewan port for fiber but not sure if it will be compatible with plusnet, can anyone throw any light on the matter? Thanks in advance..
5 REPLIES 5
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Using TP LINK W 8980 router for fiber

I'm using a tp W9980 with no problems.  If it is fibre compatible then it will work on PN.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

The W9980 is a VSDL router, so can connect directly to the RJ11 port on the phone line, the W8980 is an ASDL router, but one of the Ethernet ports can be configured as a WAN port, so can them be connected to the Openreach modem that the OP will need to ensure gets delivered.
T1ffer

Hi Keggers.
I have the exact same router and am using it with Plusnet no issues. I only joined them recently and my line went active just over a week ago (Monday 7th) when the BT engineer called and installed a new master socket and and OpenReach modem. Your new master socket won't need a filter as it's built in and the Broadband connection connects to the OpenReach modem. Then you connect a standard ethernet cable from LAN1 on the modem to the router port marked LAN4/WAN.
Once you get a message from Plusnet saying that your new Broadband is active you can setup the router. Mine didn't activate until around 7pm Monday evening, so be aware you may be without Internet access until this happens.
Login to the Router settings page and head to "Operation Mode" which you need to change to "Wireless Router Mode" (See attached photos). Save the changes. Then navigate to the Network: WAN Setting page, which is headed EWAN Settings at the top of the page. Set it up as per my photo makng sure Connection type is PPPoE and susbsitute your Plusnet Broadband User name and password (From your Welcome to Plusnet letter). Save the changes. Reboot the router (or just turn off and back on via the rear switch) and you should be good to go. The 3rd router page photo shows the status once sucessfully connected.
Hope this helps
T1ffer
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The hardware for the 8980 & 9980 is identical so if you're feeling really brave, the 8980 can be flashed with 9980 firmware and then it's VDSL capable in it's own right http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14461.msg296659.html#msg296659

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

keggers

Thanks very much, that's a very thorough and helpful reply,,the engineers coming Monday,,thanks again.
Quote from: T1ffer
Hi Keggers.
I have the exact same router and am using it with Plusnet no issues. I only joined them recently and my line went active just over a week ago (Monday 7th) when the BT engineer called and installed a new master socket and and OpenReach modem. Your new master socket won't need a filter as it's built in and the Broadband connection connects to the OpenReach modem. Then you connect a standard ethernet cable from LAN1 on the modem to the router port marked LAN4/WAN.
Once you get a message from Plusnet saying that your new Broadband is active you can setup the router. Mine didn't activate until around 7pm Monday evening, so be aware you may be without Internet access until this happens.
Login to the Router settings page and head to "Operation Mode" which you need to change to "Wireless Router Mode" (See attached photos). Save the changes. Then navigate to the Network: WAN Setting page, which is headed EWAN Settings at the top of the page. Set it up as per my photo makng sure Connection type is PPPoE and susbsitute your Plusnet Broadband User name and password (From your Welcome to Plusnet letter). Save the changes. Reboot the router (or just turn off and back on via the rear switch) and you should be good to go. The 3rd router page photo shows the status once sucessfully connected.
Hope this helps
T1ffer