cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Netgear DGND4000 N750 router with FTTC

diatomdeb
Grafter

Using Netgear DGND4000 N750 router with FTTC

Hi - is anyone using this router (or similar) with Plusnet's FTTC service? I have been trying to help someone set this up but it asks for 'Service Name' which I don't have. We are using the normal username of ****@plusdsl.net and their Plusnet password. The router has a WAN fibre modem port and supports PPPoE so in theory should work OK. If we leave 'Service Name' blank it returns an error of 'Undefined!!!' and if we use the Netgear Genie to set up it says it can't detect an internet connection.
The person's Plusnet Technicolor router has failed so I hoped they could use this one until the replacement arrives.
Any help gratefully received!
Thanks -
Deb.
5 REPLIES 5
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Using Netgear DGND4000 N750 router with FTTC

The "Service Name" field should be optional, it shouldn't matter what goes in there - just type in "Plusnet" and see if that works.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

and if we use the Netgear Genie to set up it says it can't detect an internet connection.
Try forcing it to use the WAN port. Change the 'WAN Preference' in ADVANCED > Setup > WAN Setup from 'auto detect' to 'Must use Ethernet WAN.'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

diatomdeb
Grafter

Thank you to both who replied. Unfortunately neither suggestion has worked - still get the same errors as before. 😞
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

You do have the openreach modem (and all lights are looking correct) and are connecting the LAN1 port to the WAN port  of your netgear...
try another ethernet cable
try setting a pppoe connection on a laptop and testing if that can setup a connection http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
Is this the same error you were getting with the technicolor router?
Ian
diatomdeb
Grafter

Hi Ian,
Thanks for your reply. Openreach modem is working fine and we are connected to the correct router port. The Technicolor router was showing an orange power light so it is a different problem with this Netgear router. I'll see if the person can try your other two suggestions - unfortunately I am 270 miles away so can't do it myself!
Thanks again -
Deb.