cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Archer D9 as WiFi router only connecting via new PlusNet Hub1

RediMaster

Using Archer D9 as WiFi router only connecting via new PlusNet Hub1

Hi, in case anyone decided to use this configuration I though I would post my setup that I got to work.
I was unable to find a config that worked using the Archer WAN port so reverted to this setup
I have changed the IP structure on both devices to make things simpler and more uniform. You can also use any IP structure you like
ARCHER D9 SETUP:
Change Operation mode from DSL Modem Router Mode to Wireless Router Mode
I left Network WAN settings on default (Dynamic IP)
LAN Settings:
Set the Archer IP to 192.168.1.2
DHCP Server enabled Range
(192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.199)
Gateway 192.168.1.1 (This should be the IP of the HUB1)
DNS Server, Plus Nets defaults, mine are set to (212.159.6.9/10 primary/secondry) got these from the HUB1 settings

PLUSNET HUB1 SETUP:
Disable Both Wifi networks - Not required, but does stop additional channel usage/interference
Advanced/Home Network/IP Addresses
Router IP 192.168.1.1
DHCP Network Range - Configure Manually
Start 192.168.1.10
End 192.168.1.100
You could disable DHCP on the Hub1, but I have LAN connected my DVD/FreeSat/XBox etc directly to Hub1 rather than ArcherD9 so
have left it enable. Although I am thinking of setting static IPs for these devices, so may disable DHCP altogether on the HUB1.
The final thing to do is, I LAN connected both routers using the standard LAN ports, do not use WAN enabled ports.
Internet should work fine on LAN connections and over WiFi using the Archer D9
Hope this is of help
3 REPLIES 3
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Using Archer D9 as WiFi router only connecting via new PlusNet Hub1

Your settings are incorrect.  The DHCP server on the router acting as a WAP should be disabled. 
It makes no difference which router devices are plugged into - Devices connected wirelessly or by ethernet to the D9 will still get DHCP details from the PN router.  In your configuration either router will reply but clients getting a DHCP address from the D9 won't work correctly as they will get 192.168.1.2 as their gateway.
RediMaster

Hmm, well all the devices connected to the Archer WiFi are in an IP range from the Archer not the PN router, so not sure if I have explained it correctly or something magical is happening Smiley
Also my laptop is connected via lan to the Archer, it has an IP of 108 and the gateway is 192.168.1.1?
EDIT: I can confirm that every device that is connected be it via the Archer or the HUB1 can access the internet, and they all receive the correct IPs based on their connection method.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Having looked at the manual I see that the gateway setting is part of the DHCP settings so that's why it works. 
You do still have two DHCP servers on your network however and this is unnecessary and generally not recommended.  As the DHCP ranges don't overlap there isn't a clash, but it is down to luck which range a client machine picks up.  If you disable the D9 DHCP server everything will still work Wink