cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Termination Request

2000sj
Dabbler

User Termination Request

I did post a couple of weeks ago about regular drop-outs that occurred each evening at about the same time.

I removed all equipment connected to the router and just ran it on WiFi at the test socket, which seemed to resolve the issue.  Then moved the router back to its original location, still on just WiFi with no problems.

So, reconnected a powerline ethernet for Sky TV three days ago with no apparent problems.

Then reconnected my PC by ethernet a day ago and the router dropped out at 00:30 this morning.  (The PC was shut down and I was asleep.)  

The log shows:-

00:30:59, 29 Nov. (566811.730000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

Any ideas on what's happening ? 

Thanks

sj

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: User Termination Request

@2000sj 

The qustion has to be is this a one off or is it back to dropping every night? You need to leave it a few days to check.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

2000sj
Dabbler

Thanks - I'll do just that.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for your post @2000sj

I've included a graph of your connection below

The drop this morning may well have been supplier maintenance as they often tend to carry this out between midnight and 6am. As such any drops during this time usually aren't anything to worry about.

If the drops continue to occur and happen more frequently please raise a fault here so we can look into this for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
2000sj
Dabbler

Thanks for that graph - any chance of an update, please ?

We've been away for a few days and I noticed that the line has dropped again in our absence - just wondered how often and if it's the old pattern of between 20:00 - 22:00.

I will remove the PC Ethernet today and revert to WiFi to see if that makes any difference.Thanks

sj

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @2000sj,

The catch up graph is below for you. There seems to be sporadic drops every few days during the 8pm-10pm time slots. Is there anything that could trigger the event - boilers, heating, lighting, an electrical device switched on at the mains that you can think of that might be causing some kind of interference?

2000sj
Dabbler

Thanks for that. 
The whole thing is puzzling - the connection was stable for 3 days whilst we were away from home, then it dropped on the evening when we got back, which implies something may be triggering the drop when we are at home. 

There’s no electrical equipment or appliances that are used in the evening that are not on during the day, even when we’re away. 
We had 6 stable days a week ago when we were at home with the router just connected by WiFi, so today I disconnected the Ethernet connection from my PC.

I did wonder if the PC, even in standby, could be trying to connect and causing the problem.  
It can’t now it’s on WiFi.  We’ll see what happens over the next few days. 
sj. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @2000sj

We've retested your line and we can't see any cause for this. I'd recommend monitoring it further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
2000sj
Dabbler

I've been monitoring my connection, as you suggested.  I had to start over after 9th December because we had a mains power failure that day.

Since then my connection has been quite stable, sometimes for more than a week, but it still drops without any obvious reason.  Most of the drops still seem to be in the evening, with the odd exception.  I can confirm that we don't have anything in the house that could be responsible.  I was chatting to my immediate neighbour who said he loses his BB every now & then, but doesn't have a record of when - he has BB from EE, not Plusnet, but our phone lines run in parallel in the street.

I'm sure you will now check for noise etc.. but I don't think that is the issue.

I have noticed that over time, the S/N ratio increases from about 6 to 7+, then it drops and reconnects at maybe 5.8 and sometimes at a lower speed.  Is something auto resetting my connection when it thinks it can be made better - 'cos it isn't.

The dates and approx drop times have been:-

11th December @ 21:20

20th December @ 19:48

28th December @ 16:03

29th December @ 22:48

30th December @ 21:10

7th January @ 07:02

7th January @ 21:49

Regards

sj

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @2000sj,

I just tested the connection and I cannot see any obvious reasons for the disconnections you reported. Have you tried to plug the router into the test socket leaving it there to see if you are still getting the occasional drops?

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
2000sj
Dabbler

I thought you would test the connection and find no problem - PlusNet has done this each time with the same result.

Yes, I tried the router connected to the test socket last year and still experienced dropped connections.

I'm suspicious that something intermittent and external is causing the problem, especially as my neighbour has similar trouble with his BB.

Isn't OpenReach able to monitor a group of connections to spot problems like this ? 

There are just 11 houses in my street and I'm sure they all have BB.

sj

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@2000sj,

Below is a copy of your connection logs in a graph and the drops you've listed do correlate with the drops on the graph, and below that your line test:

You're being told there's nothing obvious causing the drops because there isn't, and the drops you've listed don't appear to indicate any obvious issue other than what was discussed previously with the odd drops between 8pm and 10pm, but even those happening sporadically wouldn't be classed by the network owner as an issue, a connection is just going to experience drops sometimes. The problem is when these drops become so common that they become detrimental. A 1 minute drop one a week, or even a day is not classed as that. 

Now if you still want to get it looked at we can do, and we'd ask you to raise a fault, but in this case it will go to an engineer visit, and the issue there is if no problems are found then there's always a potential of charges.

Openreach rely on end user reports from ISPs to identify potential issues in the network which aren't obvious (like a whole cabinet going down), unfortunately.