cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useless installation

harpingon
Dabbler

Useless installation

I had recommended my father take Plusnet Fibre, as an upgrade to his (BT Retail) ADSL and telephone.
Today was supposed to be the install day.
Engineer turned up, (ominex, olinex? something like that), promptly said he couldn't install it, as the computer was nowhere near the master socket, and the master socket had no mains near.
My father, not the most tolerant of people, is now wanting to throw plusnet out, and go back to BT Retail, and get Infinity from them. But, Plusnet has his MAC and this might make things complicated?
At no time (he says) did anyone inquire or mention about the need for mains near the master socket.
I didn't either, has to be said, because I thought (wrongly) his master socket was near the computer. Turns out it wasn't.
If it had been me, I'd have been more insistent about them installing the router in the lounge, and thought about possible solutions for that later. But the 'engineer' wasn't open to the idea of running the router from a mains extension cable.
He really wants to go back to BT Retail now, he'd always thought it'd be too much hassle to move, and this has proven it Sad
So, what next?
14 REPLIES 14
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Useless installation

The engineers are all supplied by BT Openreach who own all the phone lines and fibre. PN have no control over who does the work.
Which ISP places the order makes no difference (or so OFCOM insist....)
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

you'll have the same issue no matter which ISP, as you need mains power next to the master socket to power the OR modem or combined router.
unless you choose an ISP that offers a self-install and place the modem/router off an internal extension (which isn't advisable unless the extension is in perfect working order).
harpingon
Dabbler

I know. But what if he wants to revert to BT Retail ADSL at this point? Have all bridges been burned?
Or is the MAC not considered 'used' until installation is complete, and service will remain with BT Retail?
What about the potentially transferred telephone service?
dick:quote
harpingon
Dabbler

From the Plus Net FAQs:
Q. What happens on the installation day?
An engineer carries out work at the telephone exchange and green cabinet before arriving at your property.
Your main telephone socket will be fitted with a new faceplate. This has 2 separate sockets - one for phone (bottom socket) and one for broadband (top socket).
A new BT fibre modem (the engineer will bring this) will be plugged directly into your master socket. You'll then just need to plug your new fibre router into this with one of the included yellow Ethernet cables. The engineer will then be able to answer any questions you have.
Return to top
Q. Do I need to be in when the engineer arrives?
Yes, you'll need to make sure that someone can let them in so they can set up your equipment.
Return to top
Will I need filters after the installation?
No, your new master socket has built-in filtering. This means you can remove the microfilters you're currently using once Plusnet Fibre is installed.
Return to top
Q. What if I can't or don't want to use the master socket?
If your master socket isn't in a handy place (e.g. if there are no nearby power points, or it's in a garage or attic), the engineer can fit a data extension cable. This will let you install the fibre modem up to 30 metres away from your master socket. If you're thinking about this, try to pick the new location before the engineer arrives.

So it should have all been possible today. But not.

I'm pretty angry about this,  makes me look bad for suggesting Plus Net, let alone how he now feels about Plus Net himself.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: harpingon
Engineer turned up, (ominex, olinex? something like that), promptly said he couldn't install it, as the computer was nowhere near the master socket, and the master socket had no mains near.
That is totally wrong as noted above. He should run a data extension.
Complain like hell, to PlusNet obviously, as it is their "supplier  Roll_eyes " who has failed to do the job as it should have been (or at all).
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: harpingon
If your master socket isn't in a handy place (e.g. if there are no nearby power points, or it's in a garage or attic), the engineer can fit a data extension cable. This will let you install the fibre modem up to 30 metres away from your master socket. If you're thinking about this, try to pick the new location before the engineer arrives.

i believe you have to state that you require that at the point of ordering though.
harpingon
Dabbler

FAQ doesn't say that, couldn't find it stated elsewhere either, but that doesn't mean it's not squirreled away somewhere
dick:quote
harpingon
Dabbler

The question remains,
Is it too late to abandon the switch to Plus Net (due to the failed install).
How do we revert to previous ADSL supplier?
How do we stop the telephone service switch?
If it is too late to stop this, and especially if his incumbent ADSL service is terminated, there's going to be extreme unhappiness.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

We'd need to look at things on the account for you to be able to answer your questions. Ideally, we'd like to raise this with Openreach and get another engineer out, though I appreciate this looks like it's out of the question.
If you could please raise a ticket, if you haven't already, we'll get it investigated for you.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
harpingon
Dabbler

I can't, it's not my account.
Talking my father through registering for this forum at this stage probably isn't going to happen.
He did call you though, only to be told that nothing could be done until Open Reach report, but no timescales were given, and we (well, he) is left with no idea what's happening or what to do next.
What will happen to his broadband service, please? Can you tell me?
If he ends up being cut off over Christmas for this, then words fail me Sad
WWWombat
Grafter

The BTW/BTO ordering system only allows one order at a time, and tends to only get updated with the day's reports long after the end of the working day. Calling after 8pm often seems to be able to get access to engineer reports.
What did you order from Plusnet? A complete phone+broadband package? If so, it is plausible that the phone has migrated from BT. Reverting might be tricky, even if the MAC (which is broadband only) has not yet been used.
If the phone has migrated, then the broadband supply by BT will likely have been cut off. As the PN order was for fibre, there will have been no ADSL equipment set up - so nothing to fall back on.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
harpingon
Dabbler

Open Reach were rescheduled and didn't turn up.
He's now cancelled his Plus Net order, and is probably going to go with BT Infinity instead, despite most of the mess being Open Reach related.
It's pretty unacceptable really that consumers get messed about by Open Reach, and the ISPs who the customers are paying, and who are the only ones the customers can contact, just continually buck pass. I'm sure that Plus Net aren't alone in this.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@harpingon your relationship with your father is the main thing. Shame is that he seems to be living in the world as it was not as it is now. If the second attempt under the banner of BT succeeds his view will be further reinforced.
I think you are very wise managing the situation as you are  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

@harpingon
Can you PM me your Dad's username. I want to look at why the engineers failed, and how we could have dealt with things differently. Obviously it's too late for your Dad, but maybe we can learn something. I also want to raise a complaint to Openreach on behalf of Plusnet.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team