cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of Customers own Router !

bleeper24

Use of Customers own Router !

Just a " heads up " regarding the use of a customers own router !
I appreciate that many routers may not " play ball " and I was prepared for any hiccup that may happen on initial setup !

I elected to retain my own router which is a Belkin N600 Dual Band ....and can confirm that the router works great with Plusnet Fibre after a tweak or two.......  so I hope this bit of info helps anyone who has a Belkin N600  Wink  !
On initial connection when my Plusnet service became active ...the Belkin N600 showed a "solid red " fault indication that indicated no Internet access !
I decided to check first with Plusnet support and they were able to confirm that my new service was O/K  as far as the FTC and the short run of " copper " was concerned , so all seemed as if the router was maybe at fault !
After the normal troubleshooting steps failed ........Going into the Belkin setup pages via 192.168.2.1 eventually sorted it !
I found the default setting was set to " Dynamic " ( which had worked o/k on my TalkTalk service ) ....so I decided to change this setting to PPoE ....... and after saving the settings and restarting the router ...... Bingo ... Rock solid stable connection  :).....Hope this bit of info may help anyone with this model of router !
3 REPLIES 3
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Use of Customers own Router !

Thanks for posting that, and welcome to the forum by the way, as I see no-one managed to say that when you made your previous 3 posts.
As you've discovered on Fibre it's PPPoE. (For ADSL it would have been PPPoA).
Users may find this Connection Settings page useful. Para.1 is for ADSL,  para.2 is Fibre.
There are links also in paras.3&4 to a selection of Router Guides, the Troubleshooter and Connection problem Guide which people may find useful.
HTH.
bleeper24

Quote from: Anotherone
Thanks for posting that, and welcome to the forum by the way.

Hi Anotherone
                        Thanks for the welcome ......much appreciated ! I've been an active contributor on my previous ISP's community forums for many years ...and hope I can offer a bit of help here on Plusnet for any who may need it ?
After years of hardware and software troubleshooting........  there's one most important lesson I've learned ....There's so much going on in this game ...... that no one person can "know it all "....and even if I have some experience  to offer ...we never stop learning from others too .....so I'll help where I can ...and also take on board the advice I've found on these boards already  !
Thanks again for your comments  Wink !
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

No problem. You are certainly quite right, not one of us knows it all and there's always something to learn. Helping where you can will no doubt be appreciated.