cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent GEA Request (High Latency, Packet Loss, Slow Page Load & Disconnections)

rbz5416
Grafter

Urgent GEA Request (High Latency, Packet Loss, Slow Page Load & Disconnections)

Having taken a week to get my connection up & running, I'm experiencing a poor connection. I have raised ticket 182142978 & hopefully attached some images, but again experienced an error when raising the report. I'm at the point where I need to reboot the router to try to re-establish a decent connection but I'd ideally like some diags run please whilst the connection is still in the faulty state. But I can only leave it so long as it's pretty much unusable at the moment.

15 REPLIES 15
rbz5416
Grafter

Re: Urgent GEA Request (High Latency, Packet Loss, Slow Page Load & Disconnections)

A bit more history.

OR diagnosed bad labelling in the cab & me therefore being on the wrong port. Whilst they did get me up & running, this sounds a little suspect as I was still able to connect to BT. That seems unlikely if I'd just been moved to a random port.

The connection has slowed to a crawl before disconnecting on a number of occasions. This has now dropped the sync speed to 35mbps.

On Sunday I received random messages from BT welcoming me to BT Broadband! They couldn't explain this.

As I write, the connection is all but unusable. It takes some 25s to load the Plusnet home page.

Page Load.JPG

I cannot run the BT Wholesale speed test as it just hangs on both Firefox & Edge. Speedtest & ThinkBroadband are showing very low download.

SP1.JPGSP2.JPG

ThinkBroadband's monitor is showing high latency & packet loss even through the early hours when the connection is idle.

TB Monitor.JPG

rbz5416
Grafter

Re: Urgent GEA Request (High Latency, Packet Loss, Slow Page Load & Disconnections)

Great - add history & images & the entire post vanishes. Sad

Can admin see it or do I have to start again?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, here's a the GEA test results you asked for:

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
rbz5416
Grafter

Thanks Adam, what does CI indicate as the fault location?

Not sure what interference can be detected on customer premises. There is no extension wiring & the router is connected directly to the master socket.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It appears to stand for "Configuration Issue" - though I've no idea what that actually means in English I'm afraid.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Yeah I think it stands for a Configuration Issue too though I'm also unsure as to exactly what it entails.

i've reported a fault through to our suppliers now so we'll see what they come back with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rbz5416
Grafter

Thanks guys. What is the estimated line length based on as that appears to be around double what it actually is?

I tried rebooting my Asus but couldn't connect, so I've put the Hub One directly into the master socket. That took around 20 mins to connect! Down side to this is that I don't believe it can be configured to respond to a ping, so can't continue with the Think Broadband monitor. This is what I was seeing.

TB Monitor.JPG

Curious that the latency was high & packets being lost after midnight when the connection was idle.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

What is the estimated line length based on as that appears to be around double what it actually is?

I'm fairly sure the line length we can see is from the cabinet to your property. It is just estimated though.

I tried rebooting my Asus but couldn't connect, so I've put the Hub One directly into the master socket. That took around 20 mins to connect! 

Sounds like there's definitely a problem somewhere.

We should have an update within the next 24 hours. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rbz5416
Grafter

Any response from Wholesale? Speeds crashed again last night accompanied by excessive latency. Line disconnected again this morning & was fine until around 6pm. Speeds have again dropped since & latency steadily increasing, despite the connection being idle. So looks like there's a peak contention issue on top of whatever else is going on.

rbz5416
Grafter

This is getting silly now. Sad

SP6.JPGTB Monitor 2.JPG

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @rbz5416,

Sorry to see it has not improved. Our supplier has advised we would need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate the issue further. Please can you reply to the ticket here, with your availability and get back to us here so that we can get this picked up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
rbz5416
Grafter

Why does an engineer need to visit (again) when there's nothing on the the property that could possibly have any bearing on the fault? Also, the issue generally occurs in the evening or early morning, so an engineer visit between 8 & 6 is going to achieve nothing. So I'm extremely reluctant to lose further time to another visit that can't possibly achieve anything that can't be done from outside the property.

In any case, you've offered no dates, only generic time slots.

Further, I really don't appreciate the threat of charges.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Why does an engineer need to visit (again) when there's nothing on the the property that could possibly have any bearing on the fault

Unfortunately as our tests aren't finding an external fault the only way we're can progress the fault with our suppliers is by arranging an engineer visit.

This doesn't necessarily mean the fault is internal but an engineer would need access to your property for further investigation likely to test from your master socket.

Also, the issue generally occurs in the evening or early morning, so an engineer visit between 8 & 6 is going to achieve nothing. 

I'm afraid the timeslots aren't something we can change as much as we'd love to send an engineer out in the evening or out first thing in the morning.

So I'm extremely reluctant to lose further time to another visit that can't possibly achieve anything that can't be done from outside the property.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

In any case, you've offered no dates, only generic time slots.

We see a live appointment system so every time we check the dates change.

Providing you with a particular date now may not be available the next time we look.

Further, I really don't appreciate the threat of charges.

Sorry to hear you feel it's a threat.

There's only a call out charge under these instances:

If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring, your equipment, the condition of your property or the Openreach network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like building or garden works or if no fault is found, you will receive a charge of £65 to cover the cost of the engineer. This charge will also apply if you miss the appointment or you cancel without giving us 2 working days' notice.

We robustly defend all engineer charges before accepting them and passing a portion of the charge we receive to you if applicable.

If you can try the troubleshooting steps Here this should bypass your internal wiring.

Let us know once you've done this and we'll be happy to retest your line.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rbz5416
Grafter

Not sure there's any mileage in pursuing this.

My original order was cocked up so that BT were only advised on a phone line switch & that they would be keeping the broadband. This couldn't be resolved & I was left in limbo between Plusnet saying everything was switching & BT saying it wasn't. The only way to resolve this was to cancel & re-order. As well as the additional delay, Plusnet have now used this as an excuse to reject the cashback payment.

It then takes a week past the new switching date to get the broadband activated during which time support fail to log the original incident or report back, necessitating me posting here for a response.

Now despite me posting evidence of an issue with the router directly connected to the master socket & these issues largely occurring outside of office hours, your "supplier" wants me to devote more time to accommodating their engineer to investigate within the property & during office hours. I'm amazed that there is apparently no mechanism for them to monitor externally, although I strongly suspect that there is & that this is just the default position. Just for the record, who is the mysteriously unnamed supplier?

It's beginning to look like this just isn't meant to be. What are my cancellation options?