cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent Can Somebody from PlusNet contact me regarding possible DNS problems

FIXED
pg1

Urgent Can Somebody from PlusNet contact me regarding possible DNS problems

Until the end of October 2016 I have regularly been receiving 70-75Mbps download from my PlusNet fibre connection.

Since then I have had to reboot my Openreach fibre router and my TPLINK  router connection to my pc on a daily basis to achieve any kind of internet connection.

I normally use Firefox as my default browser but the problem is consistent using any browser  i.e. Edge, Chrome or IE11

My current download speed varies between 10 & 20mbps I am constantly getting the error “problem loading page” when try to load pages in new tabs.

From a cmd prompt I cannot ping google by name and most times not by IP address either

Which suggests to me some kind of DNS error? I have tried using the alternative IP’s on IP4v of 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 with little success.

I am using the following hardware

Openreach fibre router

Model:- Echolife HG612

Firmware ver V100R001C01B028SP10

This is connected by Ethernet cable to a

TPlink Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router

Model:- TL-WR1043ND

This is connected by Ethernet cable to my PC Network adapter

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Router

Driver ver 9.001.0404.2015

I am running 64 bit Windows10 on an Intel(R) Core(TM)2  Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50 GHz

I could really do with some help from PlusNet on this issue. I have tried to use their online chat facility but its invariably off line!

4 REPLIES 4
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Urgent Can Somebody from PlusNet contact me regarding possible DNS problems

Hello there,

I'm aware of a current data transfer issue with Windows 10 PCs. The fix has been to manually setting your IP address in the network adapter IPv4 properties. For example, assuming the default gateway of your TP link router is 192.168.1.1 you could manually assign your IP to 192.168.1.20. 

Then, manually assign your DNS server address to

Preferred DNS Server: 212.159.6.9
Alternate DNS Server: 212.159.6.10

I hope this helps

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If you suspect a DNS problem, have you tried changing the DNS options in your router to use Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 ?

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Fix

@pg1 wrote:

From a cmd prompt I cannot ping google by name and most times not by IP address either

Which suggests to me some kind of DNS error?

Pinging by IP address don't use DNS at all so that particular issue suggests a different cause.

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Do you have another device (PC, phone etc) that you could be used to help determine whether it is indeed your connection or perhaps just that one machine at fault?