Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstream banded profile

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Upstream banded profile

Can someone from support please confirm if BT's idiot DLM has put me on a banded profile.
I've been stuck on a 0.8Mbps upstream sync for over a week now.  Undecided
30 REPLIES 30
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Upstream banded profile

You're not DLMd as far as I can see. Your upload is showing at 0.8Mbps though. Please raise via faults.plus.net so that we can take a look.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
npr
Pro

Thanks Tony, the fault was with a modem/router I was testing. It was rebooting and I was slow to spot it, this knocked my upstream sync from 2Mbps down to 0.8Mbps and increased interleaving to a depth never before seen on this line.
Are you sure I'm not DLM'd, this line has a poor history, I thought I was already on a banded profile although higher the the 0.128 - 0.8 U/S I now appear to be on.
If I raise a fault and get a BT visit they will charge because the fault was with my equipment. How do I get the DLM reset when BT won't do this without a visit? -- catch 22
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

sadly Even if you get a visit from BTO you wont get a DLM reset unless a fault is found with the line, cab or exchange and work was done on either of them to remedy it, other than that you would need to wait for DLM itself to make any changes over time if it deems your line suitable enough to do so.
npr
Pro

Your perfectly correct.
This line has a longstanding fault which BT have failed miserably to fix.
The best upstream speed I can get is 1.5 to 2Mbps, it has dropped down to 0.8 Mbps in the past and been stuck there for many months.
From past experience, on this line, once DLM kicks in it doesn't back off without BT resetting the profile.
This is whats annoying, BT won't reset without a visit and I've had enough of those to know how useless they are.
IMO it's about time BT allow the ISP to request a reset without BT paying a visit.

kitz
Aspiring Pro

IMO it's about time BT allow the ISP to request a reset without BT paying a visit.

I totally agree with you.    There was a rumour late last year that they may be looking at this.  Does anyone from PN have more up to date info on this?
npr
Pro

I was hoping a Plusnet rep would pick this up and make a request to BT, even if the chance of success is small. They must have on record the history of this line and the high number of (failed) BT visits I've had in the past.
A simple remote reset would be much cheaper for them than starting the cycle of BT visits all over again.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'm having your line double checked, but when I saw it yesterday, you didn't appear to be DLM'd.
As for resetting the line remotely, it would be something very useful to us/me. I'm chasing it (again) with products.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

To add to this, I've done a bit of digging and it seems a lot of tests don't show profiles DLM/etc on them.
Is this related to G.INP ? This is what I intend to find out.

EDIT: BT confirm no issues on the line, but I'm still chasing.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
npr
Pro

No it's not a G.INP issue, I'm on a ECI cabinet.
What do BT mean there's no issues on the line.  Shocked There's been a issue with this line on VDSL since day one mainly due to their aluminium wires. If they've conveniently forgotten that, a upstream sync of 0.8Mbps against a predicted speed of 3.8Mbps is it's self a fault.
Thanks Tony, please keep chasing.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

When I say "no fault" I mean the testing platform didn't find anything. They basically confirmed that as far as they can see, your line isn't "DLM'd". However, I'm not so sure of this now based on another investigation which I'm looking at (i.e. why your profile isn't showing)
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@plusnettony when my line was on fast path: the profile name does show up. But when the G.INP turned on, the profile name doesn't show up. You should report this to BT.
Before fast path gea test result:
Profile Name    40M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 10M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp    2015-03-10T14:15:00
Parameters    MIN    MAX    AVG
Down Stream Line Rate    79.9 Mbps    79.9 Mbps    79.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate    19.9 Mbps    19.9 Mbps    19.9 Mbps
Up Time    900.0 Sec    907.0 Sec    900.0 Sec
Retrains    0.0    0.0    0.0
Now on G.INP enabled gea test result:
Profile Name N/A
Time Stamp N/A
Parameters   MIN   MAX   AVG
Down Stream Line Rate   -1 Mbps   -1 Mbps   -1 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate   -1 Mbps   -1 Mbps   -1 Mbps
Up Time   -1 Sec   -1 Sec   -1 Sec
Retrains   -1   -1   -1
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Quote from: npr

It's been discussed last year! Nothing was done about it.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

That's what I thought at first, but apparently npr isn't on G.INP. Either way, I've raised it with our problem management team to take up with BT.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Quote from: goldenfibre
It's been discussed last year! Nothing was done about it.

That's not as straight forward as I thought. I am sure it is still being worked on though.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team