cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstream BW completely consumed by protocol overhead?

LordFox
Rising Star

Upstream BW completely consumed by protocol overhead?

I'm considering moving from my current PN ADSL to unlimited fibre extra. I get an easy 18MBps/1Mbps connection at the moment but it's finally feeling like not enough.

I cannot find on PN's packages pages where it says what the upstream bandwidth is... am I just being blind, or is PN trying not to tell us?

Anyway, I read a few forum threads and from what I can see, it would be 2MBps. Really???

If I actually got 76MBps downstream, given about 3% (that's on the high side I know, but easily possible with smaller tcp transfers) then that 2MBps upstream would be entirely consumed just by the protocol overhead; SYNs and ACKs and such. Am I wrong? And that's not even thinking about running one protocol over another.

Which makes it largely useless if I'm using something that actually needs data in both directions. And I do! The majority is down of course, but without sufficient upstream to go along with it, things fall apart.

So, basically I'm asking: Am I correct in the above, and if so, what on Earth is PN thinking with only 2MBps up on a 76MBps downstream line? Obviously if I am correct, I won't waste my money 'upgrading'. At least not here. It would quite possibly give me a worse service than I have for some things.

If I am wrong (and I hope I am, somehow), please explain why.

Smiley

6 REPLIES 6
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Upstream BW completely consumed by protocol overhead?

it's not 2Mbps up on a 76Mbps down connection
it's either 40/2 or 80/20.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

On Unlimited Fibre it is up to 40 down 2 up

On Unlimited Fibre Extra it is up to 80 down 20 up

LordFox
Rising Star

Ahh... thanks folks for the ultra-rapid answers.

That makes things much better! Obviously what I read in the forum wasn't referring to Extra then.

I wish I could have found that answer more easily - really, did I just miss it somewhere on PN's front pages?

Seriously - could someone point me to an 'official' page that says that, in case things go 'wrong'?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/ and then click on the label "Here's the Legal Bit"

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
LordFox
Rising Star

Got it, thank you.

---

PN, why not just put the numbers up front, so we don't have to dig for them? That 'up to 19Mb' isn't mentioned anywhere else that I could find. I mean, it is critical information!

I must admit I mostly ignored the 'legal bit', but come on - you're trying to sell this product, aren't you? At least tell us what you're selling. It's frustrating. Putting the information in the main places I'm reading would have saved me quite a bit of time trying to find it out, having to ask here, etc.

If I was buying a car, I wouldn't expect to have to read the legal contract terms to find out what engine it had!

/rant Cheesy

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

They won't put the numbers up front because of the up to 1.9Mb upload on the smaller fibre package.