cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploads are almost halting downloads

candell
Grafter

Uploads are almost halting downloads

Pretty much if I upload (ftp, dropbox, wesendit etc) downloads come to a halt. I expect this on basic broadband but not with Fibre and it didn't do it on BT before moving to plusnet.

Not sure if related, but quite often uploads and downloads stop, only for about 10 seconds but then it kicks back in. This happens multiple times per day.

I have called plusnet about the service interruptions and they say that the line is ok, but it miraculously starts working again without interruptions until a few days later when it begins again.

4 REPLIES 4
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Uploads are almost halting downloads

if you upload using all of the connections upload speed, that is what happens.  Your connection still needs a % free to both up and down to handle the connection/handshake of the download.

So cap the upload in your FTP app leaving 5-10% of your maximum capable to allow downloads to happen

FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Bufferbloat.

What router? The 2704N is especially bad at it.

What upload speed? Plusnet's Unlimited Fibre is 40/2.

candell
Grafter

Aha, so when I was with BT and had 20 down, when uploading I wasn't using all of that to upload so it didn't affect the download speed. But now plusnet give us a pitiful 2 down it's all being used so killing the standard traffic?!?!

BTW, I'm using BTHH5

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Plusnet's Unlimited Fibre is 40/2.

Plusnet's Unlimited Fibre Extra is 80/20.

You need the Fibre Extra package for a decent amount of upload speed.