Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload sync speed has dropped to zero

Riscy
Dabbler

Upload sync speed has dropped to zero

Hi,
(OK so when I say zero, I've rounded that to Mbps; I do get a few kbps..!)
For years I've been at a down/up sync of 65/20 (of a possible 74/20 at my line distance) without any trouble. Download has stayed there; but in the last few days the upload has dropped from 20Mbps to only a few kbps.
Here's the detail of my tests:

Does anybody have any ideas? Obviously I've tried the usual: rebooting the router, resetting connection settings, etc. Nothing has changed in the home environment.
Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
elfish
Grafter

Re: Upload sync speed has dropped to zero

Which Fritz!Box do you have and what is the firmware that you are running?
I have lost almost half of my upload sync speed and I am running a 7390 with 6.30 firmware.
From the SNR graph, it seems that you are connected to an ECI cab?
This may just be a coincidence.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I'd recommend raising a fault.
https://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
pmcalli

I have an identical fault that occurred a few days ago with up link dropped to 0.4Mb  the dsl parameters negotiated are all wrong with very low up link and very high down link actual throughput value higher than maximum and reporting sn margin as low as -14.  reported as fault. I have since put back open reach modem and run fritz box as router and up load is now 13Mb I was getting 18. the spectrum picture when working as modem is identical to yours only lower band being used. I suspect plusnet have altered something on dslam so that its incompatible now or its faulty. But with three of us having same fault?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: pmcalli
I suspect plusnet have altered something on dslam so that its incompatible now or its faulty.

Just to clarify, with FTTC, Plusnet are not able to set anything on the DSLAM, this is entirely controlled by BT Openreach (as it is for other FTTC providers using BT based FTTC).  The only 'settings' that Plusnet can influence are the actual FTTC product selection (40/2, 40/10 (not offered by Plusnet) or 80/20) and a 'stability profile'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pmcalli

So its probably another open reach problem have the other two posters found what the problem is as I am desperate to get back to using the modem in the fritz box so I can see what is happening at dsl level which isn't easily done with an open reach modem. incidentally my broadband package is 38/20 which is no longer offered .
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I've just posted on another thread, also a sudden and severe loss of upstream sync on a Fritz!box (since the end of October but just noticed it - d'ough).
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,145233.msg1282006.html#msg1282006
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Riscy
Dabbler

Thanks all.
I've raised a support ticket with Plusnet on 2nd Nov, but very unusually I've not heard anything back yet at all. I might phone support tomorrow.
It is interesting that several Fritz users report the same problem beginning recently, and that it isn't related the the recent firmware upgrade (because somebody has this problem on the old 06.20 firmware).
Unfortunately I don't have a standard Openreach VDSL router to try.
(elfish: I don't know which cabinet type I'm connected to, I'll have to do some research on how I identify that. It's a Broadcom chipset, according to the Fritz, if that helps.)
elfish
Grafter

That is a Huawei cab. Interesting bitloading on the downstream, mine is different in the D1 (first downstream) band.
Snoopy

Just want to add to this thread.  I'm seeing similar issue. Run all the tests.  I'm seeing down sync of 80M up sync of 7M.  Normally around 74M/78M and 20M. going through this now with tech guys.  But obvious to me something has changed on the network side.
ogilviea

I'm also experiencing a dramatic reduction in upload speed.  I had assumed that it was something to do with my recent downgrade (last week) from Unlimited Fibre Extra to Unlimited Fibre, but it seems others are seeing this also (reports on http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet.html as well as here).
My upload speed was 19Mbps, now it's down to 2Mbps. I am using an Asus RT-N56U router, and I have confirmed that the behaviour is a) consistent, and b) occurring on wired as well as wireless.
I'll be giving Plusnet a call tomorrow...
EDIT: Ignore that!  Someone just explained to me (duh!) that downgrading from Unlimited Fibre Extra to Unlimited Fibre actually means downgrading from Openreach 80/20 to 40/2.  So I get what I deserve for trying to save a few quid per month  Smiley