Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speeds?

nbk
Grafter

Upload speeds?

Hi.
Just a query about actual upload speed. By actual I mean actively using your upload...
I've run speed tests and they report back 76/18Mbit which is plenty fine by me.
But uploading to other people using things like DCC on IRC gets ~200KB/s max, I tried uploading to a fast FTP and it gets about 100KB/s. Both have tried their downloads independently with no issues so it isn't their end and the person on the other end of the DCC happily sends to me at 800KB/s.
Tried to recieve from somebody else on plusnet and it gets to about the same.
To see if it was just slow upload I tried to upload the same 306MB file to google drive and it finished in a little over 3 minutes which indicated a ~1.5MB/s upload which is about what I'd expect.
So is it very aggressive traffic management?
From what I read about the traffic management (or prioritisation) on their FTTC is it prioritises your own traffic so only what you do has an effect on yourself. I don't know if I've misunderstood anything about that at all but when I'm not uploading anything at all I can't see why these uploads would be so slow.
It's a bit irksome because one of the main reasons I got FTTC was the higher upload speeds from my ~900Kbit upload on ADSL2+ and this isn't really doing any better in my usage  Undecided