cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speeds

MikeBz
Rising Star

Upload speeds

Apologies, if this isn't the right forum to ask this question in....
I'm on ADSL but considering upgrading to fibre.  I see that PlusNet's 38Mbps down fibre package quotes an upload speed of 1.9Mbps, whilst other providers (e.g. Sky, Zen) quote 9.5Mbps up for their 38Mbps down product.  The 76Mbps down/19Mbps up offerings seem to be consistent across providers.
38Mbps down would suit me fine but I'd want a better upload max than 1.9Mbps, so just curious as to why PlusNet appear to be out of kilter on that option.
5 REPLIES 5
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: Upload speeds

I think PlusNet are trying to save money. This has been a subject of much debate on these forums. Despite protests from many, Plusnet are sticking to only offering up to 2 Mbps upload on their 40 Mbps (up to 38 Mbps actually) product.
I think they assume that most people are more concerned with download speed rather than upload (and that is probably true), however upload speed is becoming more and more relevant because of cloud based services etc. It is a backwards step for Plusnet in my view.
If upload is important to you, my advice would be to go to a supplier that gives the 10 Mbps upload on the 40 Mbps product (for example, BT).
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Openreach currently offer 3 FTTC 'products': 80/20, 40/10 and 40/2, of the main ISPs, it's Talk-Talk and Plusnet that have chosen the lowest upload for their standard FTTC offering.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and from the 16th Jan 55/10 https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefings/super-fastfib...
Notee that the cost difference between 40/2 and 40/10 is 60p per month incl. VAT
MikeBz
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies,  I understand now.  That 55/10 announcement sounds interesting,  I'm not in a rush so I'll wait until we start to see product offerings with that option.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Oldjim
Notee that the cost difference between 40/2 and 40/10 is 60p per month incl. VAT

Why on earth don't PlusNet offer 40/10. They can even charge a little more for it (as compared to 40/2). At least the customer then has an option for the higher upload speed if they can't get the 80/20 product.
If PlusNet offer the 55/10, but not 40/10, it will be interesting to see if they 'allow' those on under 40 Mbps to get it (just to gain the higher upload speed). Even if they do allow that, customers are still likely paying a premium for the 10 Mbps upload product when they are under 40 Mbps download.