cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speeds have crashed (and download has slid)

Carajp
Dabbler

Upload speeds have crashed (and download has slid)

For as long as I've been with Plusnet (a few years now) my download speed has been around 66mbps and my upload speed around 14-15mbps.

For several weeks, my upload speed has barely reached 5mbps, sometime only 4. This is becoming a real problem. I've also noticed my download speeds have likewise dropped to around 55mbps (this really isn't a problem, but still...)

The upload speed is a major pain if you're using something like Onedrive to back up your data. I've tested with several speed test sites (Google, Speedtest, Think Broadband*) and get the same result. Ditto testing with different devices, including an ethernet-connected desktop PC.

Any reasons/ideas you can think of?

Thanks!

*I didn't include BT linetest as it requires Flash. In the past it's never varied from the other tests, and the other tests all give the same result

29 REPLIES 29
Ndegwa
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Upload speeds have crashed (and download has slid)

Hi @Carajp, sorry to hear you're having broadband issues. Can you run through our troubleshooting guides here, let us know how you get on:

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=refer...

If the problem persists feel free to let us know and we can investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lee Y
 Plusnet Help Team
Carajp
Dabbler

1. Dial tone is fine and no audible noise on the line

2. Nothing has changed with wiring but I've checked everything all the same and it's fine

3. Modem is plugged into master socket

That made me think I'd never rebooted the modem itself, so I did.

None of it made any difference

(Ping 10ms Download 57.21 Upload 5.86)

Carajp
Dabbler

..and then, for completeness, I disconnect 3 x Amazon Alexa, 1 x Google Mini, Samsung Smarthub and Philips Hue hub!

And shortly after remembered I could take a speedtest from a built in router function before anything else gets a bite anyway.

Needless to say, nothing changed....

I also tried a different router with exactly the same results.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there and cheers for trying out the troubleshooting that Lee suggested. 

I've tested your service and see evidence of the slow upload speed but we don't see any obvious causes for it.

The best thing to do is report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net do drop us a reply back here when you have just so we can follow things up with you.

Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Carajp
Dabbler

Thank you! I have now submitted a fault report.

It's a relief that you can see it too, though. I couldn't think what might have gone wrong internally given the modem is plugged into the master socket.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Thanks for confirming that, @Carajp

I've raised this to our suppliers on your behalf and updated your open fault ticket here:

Best wishes,

Dave

Carajp
Dabbler

Since I've been fortunate enough never to have had a problem in all the years since I got fibre, can you outline some kind of timeframe for fault resolution? I just have no idea. Smiley

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi there.

We usually expect a reply from Openreach within 48 hours when we raise an external fault. If you haven't heard anything by Thursday, please let us know and we will chase this up for you.

Carajp
Dabbler

Well, it's Thursday and it's all gone horribly quiet. I haven't heard anything except what was confirmed on the day of the reported fault.

And seriously, it's driving me crazy. Things that got uploaded before I really noticed are really holding me up.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

HI @Carajp

Apologies for the delay coming back to you.

We need to get this progressed to an engineer to your premises.

Could you respond to the open fault ticket on your account here and we'll get this sorted for you?

Thanks,

Dave

Carajp
Dabbler

I have responded to the ticket, offering 4 slots.

Beyond next week, I am on holiday for a fortnight. There will be someone in the house much of the time cat-sitting, but I can't expect them to take on this (besides not knowing a router from a microwave oven) so it would have to wait for my return. Which would be very frustrating!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for responding to the ticket, I've updated you over there now.

If you drop a reply over here once you've replied I'll be happy to take another look.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Carajp
Dabbler

So I replied - days ago. And everything has all gone quiet. Haven't heard back about an engineer visit. Haven't heard back about anything at all.

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @Carajp

I have got this booked for you, and I have updated your ticket. You can view the ticket at https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=178379614