Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Upload speed

That doesn't help people who are too far away from the cabinet to get over 40mbps download and need faster upload - Plusnet refuse to sell them extra. 40/2, 55/10, 80/20 would make a well balanced product set!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
davenos
Rising Star

@MrSilver The difference in price between the 40/2 and 55/10 is £1.50 per month, 40/2 is £6.90 and 55/10 is £8.40.I would think that if Plusnet where to offer it in the future then i would expect them to price it out at £5 per month on top of the current price.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Plusnet buy broadband from BTWholesale, whose prices for 40/2, 40/10, 55/10 and 80/20 are £13, £14, £15 and £16 per month ex. VAT respectively.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

So it sounds like we have agreed its £2/month more + vat so just under £30/month extra, some people would be prepared to pay for that as they cant get 80/20

Offering 3 speed ranges gives customer more options, more options usually means more confusion and drop out of the journey so i guess Plusnet has decided the extra money hey can make on a 55/10 isnt worth the less sales.

Also if its £2+vat more, but the 80/20 is only £5/month more to us customers, then do they really want 3 products just £2.50 apart in price etc.

Either way, going offtopic from the OP on does Plusnet show upload speeds which i think we have highlighted in a big red circle they do, and its not just in the legal bit at the bottom.

ccarmock
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The point I make is that this should be

@MrSilver wrote:

So after confirming telephone line, selecting broadband I get this, I have circled the upload speed in red, in case people are struggling to see it.... not exactly hidden in the legal specs and being dishonest is it?

2mb.jpg

The point I make is that this should be displayed before the sign up process is started not after, and then not in legal terms but as part of the service spec.    Even the 'all you need to know' page has no mention of it.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@MrSilver PN front page DOES not list a Upload speed , if you want to find it you have to look all the way down to the legal bit at bottom of page !! see whats included

IT should be shown on first page !!!!

Capture.PNG

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
MrSilver
Pro

I understand it doesn't show on the pre sales page. We will have to agree to disagree if it should be on there or not.

My point is you DO NOT have to scroll down to the legal bit at the bottom to see what you are getting. My screenshot is within 60seconds of starting the journey, before you pay any money or make any commitments. About 1cm above my image is he address bar so no scrolling needed to have confirmation of your up and download speeds, so all I'm pointing out it its not hidden and burried away.

With more people using cloud storage I think upload is becoming more important and should be made even clearer, historically it's not been important for most,
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I agree MrSilver Thumbs_Up  2meg upload is useless 

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@MrSilver wrote:
My screenshot is within 60seconds of starting the journey,

That is exactly what is wrong - you should not have to start the journey to find out a key piece of information. On Amazon, eBay or any other trading sites do you have to click "buy now" or "add to basket" before they show you the full specification? People compare the specifications of various different providers before making a choice and then "start the journey" with the chosen supplier.

Plusnet's policy of hiding the upload speed until either after you've made your choice and started the order, or for God's sake you have to look in the legal conditions to find part of the product specification, is a really underhand tactic and really says a lot about the type of operation they have become.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MrSilver
Pro

Your argument would almost work if people could compare packages side for side, it is witch, BT, sky, virgin, aa, EE broadband none of them state heir upload in presales, only zen I have seen.

So even if plusnet put in flashing letters on presales their upload speed people still can't have pages side for different isps to compare.

At the point in the plusnet page it tells you in the row under what the speeds would be on the next package is too so you can make a decision on what you can have for them.

Most people don't care about upload but more increasingly are.
ccarmock
Rising Star

So just because most other ISPs are equally reticent to provide their customers with full details of the packages on offer so they can make an informed decision *before* they click the start order button is an argument for Plusnet to be equally cagy about it?

As a previous poster has said you don't go onto Amazon to find you have to start the order process before you find out the full spec of something you are considering.

You say most people are not interested in upload speed?   Do you have a reference for that?  Whether they are or not would you not agree that when Plusnet has a page that clearly has a header "Everything you need to know about our packages" to omit this information from that page is wrong?

As I have mentioned the 40/2 package that Plusnet seem happy with as a standard means those on it are suffering less than the average upload speed across the country, in fact they are a little way over half the average.   Not a particularly quality package really.

the 40/10 option which Plusnet could offer if they wanted to would cost them £1 per customer per month more.   I for one would be more than happy to pay the extra!

steveetog
Hooked

IF they renamed the "Start order" button to the "Can I get this?" button, would that make you happy? Because the "Start Order" button first off takes you to see whether you can get that product (after all, no point starting the order if you can't even get that product).

Upload speeds are only really important for content creators or people sharing large volumes of data anyway, and if they are doing it for commercial purposes they should be on business broadband if they HAVE to have the guaranteed speeds.

ccarmock
Rising Star

All I am saying is that in my opinion Plusnet should display both download and upload speeds on the summary pages of their packages, and certainly on the pages where they claim to provide 'Everything you need to know about our packages'  They make room for a section on 'gaming without pausing'  I'd suggest the same argument applies that has been made about upload - ie that is not relevant to everyone, yet that gets a mention but upload does not.

They also try to explain why fibre is different to 'standard' broadband which I suspect even less are interested in.

They make room to talk about the awards they have won (thought not the fact they scored very badly in the recent study on number of complaints as a ratio of overall customers.  But they do not make room for a couple of lines on something that is a fundamental part of the service.

steveetog
Hooked

Plusnet is still clearer than most on upload speeds. In fact, having to click one button to find an upload speed - that's such a tragedy, isn't it.

The people who are concerned about upload speeds will do proper research on the subject, and the information is there and clear. The vast majority of people who use the internet though won't be concerned about upload, and they don't generally need to be concerned about it. Even 2mb/s is fine for online gaming - after all, it's a tiny stream of data being sent to the gaming server, not the whole game.

ccarmock
Rising Star

Conversely - why is it such a problem to display the upload speed on the 'everything you need to know' page and on the summary pages?