Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed

ccarmock
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Upload speed

PlusNet team - please could you highlight for me where the upload speed and the fact it will be capped at 2 Mb/s is shown on the product pages for Fibre Unlimited?   I have been looking and cannot find this listed anywhere obvious.

38 REPLIES 38
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Upload speed

Hello @ccarmock

When you're on the fibre packages page, if you scroll to the bottom and under Here's the legal bit you will see the following:

† Fibre broadband speed is described as 'up to' because your actual download speeds will vary. We'll give you the best download speed available on your line, with up to 76Mb download speed and 19Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre Extra, and up to 38Mb download speed and 1.9Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre. This is dependent on your location, phone line, home wiring and time of day. We'll provide you with a speed estimate when you check availability of our products.

Also, as you go through the sign up process, after you select your address, you're advised of the 2 Mbps upload speed cap and given an opportunity to select Unlimited Fibre Extra instead.

I hope this helps clarify things.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ccarmock
Rising Star

I think this is hidden - I would not expect to look in the legal area to see details about the upload speed.  On your business packages pages it's very clearly listed what you get, but not on the home broadband pages.

Listing this during sign up is not a substitute for hiding this information in the main pages.

Also you have a page listed 'Everything you need to know about our packages'   well this isn't listed there.

When will PlusNet get into modern times and remove this ridiculous 2 Mb/s cap on upload.    The next speed up at wholesale rates from BT is just £1/month more.   why do you not offer that to your customers.

The forum is littered with people complaining about upload, yet PlusNet seem to be ignoring what your customers want.  Also the fact that you hide details of upload in the legal section, which is not where the average person would even think to find it might indicate you are embarrassed yourselves?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Apologies if you find it unclear.

I assume you're referring to 55/10 as the step up from 40/2. It's something we aren't offering to new customers I'm afraid.

If we were, it would also probably make the package more expensive, which I believe the purpose of the standard Unlimited Fibre package is to provide fibre at low cost.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ccarmock
Rising Star

I do find it unclear that the page that claims to tell you everything you need to know about your broadband packages does not list this, and that it's buried int he legal bit - I wonder if you would agree that that isn't the logical place for it? and maybe suggest to your web/marketing team to make it clearer - ie as they have done on the business pages.

Well the 55/10 package costs you £1 per month more at wholesale rates from BT than the 40/2,  so, yes it would be more expensive.  However, offering that as an option for those where the 76/20 service just doesn't apply due to line conditions, would fill a gap that you appear to have in your packages. 

As many PlusNet staff have said you don't offer the 55/10 service to customers.   Why is that please? 

Also I note that the 2016 Ofcom report on broadband quotes average upload across the country is now 3.7 Mb/s  which in effect means you impose cap of 2 Mb/s means your customers are getting just over half the average upload speed due to this decision!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

The cap on the upload speed for Unlimited Fibre is also advised pretty early during the sign up process, just before you select your desired phone package, if any.

As for providing 55/10, it's more of a business decision.

I'll happily pass on your suggestions and interest to our Marketing team.

ccarmock
Rising Star

As I mention I think you should provide details before the customer starts the sign up process - you do so on the business pages as I have mentioned but not on the home pages.  I believe you should be giving your customers all the information they need before they start the sign up process.

Yes please pass on my suggestions, and would you mind reporting back here the responses, as clearly this is a question that has come up many times.  I would specifically be interested in the response to how the business & marketing teams would feel about a strap line "We offer less than the country average upload speed".

55/10 costs just £1 more at wholesale rates remember......

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I'll happily pass on your suggestions; I can't guarantee of a response back here though.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Given that BT provide 55/10 and charge more than PN and other providers, its unlikely that PN will offer that service for a lower price - I think they have learned from them providing 40/20!

However as others provide 40/10 PN are putting themselves at a significant disadvantage, especially to anyone that reads the T&C's.

As with most other service providers, and maybe thanks to price comparison sites, everyone needs to have a look, and see what service suits them before signing up.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The main reason that it is 40/2 and not 40/10 is that 40/2 is what TalkTalk provide.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

The problem is it is not just PN who HIDE the upload speed Embarrassed there are quite a few where its hard to find Roll_eyes

Its about time ISP were forced to show the Upload as well as the Download speeds !

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ccarmock
Rising Star

I couldn't agree more - it is definitely time ISPs were forced to be open and honest here.    Hiding service specs in the legal documentation is not what I'd call being open.  I agree other ISPs are equally at fault here. Hopefully Ofcom will tighten up and ensure that all of the information people need to make an informed choice is easily available to them.

Well if PlusNet match themselves to Talk Talk this sounds like a race to the bottom.  Offering a better service such as a 40/10 option or even 40/5  would give them an edge.

Given Plusnet came out worse than Talk Talk in terms of customer complaints they have ground to make up.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

So after confirming telephone line, selecting broadband I get this, I have circled the upload speed in red, in case people are struggling to see it.... not exactly hidden in the legal specs and being dishonest is it?

2mb.jpg

MrSilver
Pro

@rongtw wrote:

Its about time ISP were forced to show the Upload as well as the Download speeds !

Good job that is what Plusnet does then isnt it 😉

MrSilver
Pro

@ccarmock wrote:

55/10 costs just £1 more at wholesale rates remember......

I believe it's more than that, that may be the difference to 40/10.

Even if its £3 extra that is going to put another £45 (inc vat) on the years price, and yes quite a few people would probably pay that, but there would be a lot that go for the cheaper broadband.

On the sales site the Fibre Extra is only £5/month more for the full 20mb upload, so if people are complaining about its only £2 extra for a faster upload then just spend the £5 and get the 80/20 product.