Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Upload speed

I am wondering what determines the upload speed please? +Net sell a 40/20 product, which is a lot better than the 40/10 product sold by others. Now, although I get the full 40MB sync as I did with Sky (I would assume as there are no line stats in the _Net router and my OR modem isn't hacked), that would tell me I am very close to my cabinet. So, if I am close enough to get full download sync, why am I so far away as to only get a 13Mb upload speed? Sounds like I am being ungrateful for the speed, but i'm not, just curious as I really sold the connection change to the wife on the basis she may be able to upload files quicker on the odd days she works from home.
Thanks
Mark
6 REPLIES 6
tonycollinet
Grafter

Re: Upload speed

The 40/20 system is exactly the same as the 80/20 one, but with a cap on the download speed.
So it may well be that you are far enough away to limit both the upload AND download speed, but that the download is limited to something between 40 and 80.
What does the BT Checker estimate give you here:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
EDIT: Do you know where/how far away your cabinet is?
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Don't know where the cabinet is as I wasn't worried about it when we moved. When I lived in Leeds and was trying to get my cabinet enabled I followed everything that was happening in my area (and the cabinet was almost outside my house). Max downstream is showing as 65MB and 19MB up max. Never been able to test it on phone number before as the previous owners were Talk Talk and we were Sky, always had to use the postcode checker which initially said around 72MB down, which was all I was worried about.
No real issue with upload, as I said, I was just wondering. 13MB is more than enough for me Smiley
Mark
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: tonyAtplus
So it may well be that you are far enough away to limit both the upload AND download speed, but that the download is limited to something between 40 and 80.

this is the part that confuses me though.
if the downstream is capable of more than 40Mbps, then why wouldn't the upstream be capable of the full 20Mbps?
or is it a case where if there is a 20% drop from the theoretical maximum 80Mbps then there would be a corresponding drop of 20% on the upstream also?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Interesting article, not seen that one before. So from that, it would seem I am in the middle of 38MB- 42MB:
400m 42 Mbps 16 Mbps 45%
500m 38 Mbps 15 Mbps 60%
So even at a 38MB sync, upload should still be around 15MB, but what's a couple of MB between friends Smiley
It is all pretty irrelevant until I get a new router to see what I am actually syncing at anyway, the PN profile says 40MB.
Mark
tonycollinet
Grafter

Bear in mind your sync speed will always be higher than your throughput speed.