Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed too slow for my Blink cameras

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Upload speed too slow for my Blink cameras

@RobPN 

What I am suggesting is that the back box is replaced and the rest of the components are replaced with a new filtered faceplate.

I am anti the extension because it will need @smhartley1  to replace the cable into IDC connectors. I am trying to make life easier to get this back up working by simply plugging in an extension rather than suggesting a solution with the need to get an insertion tool and then identify the correct terminals to reconnect the extension.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@RobPN  @jab1  @Kevin  et al

We appear to be running around in circles here discussing this amongst ourselves. Poor @smhartley1 's brain must be getting more and more confused.

Let me put my slant on the problem and possible solutions to see if we can come to a concensus that can be acted upon.

The key diagnosis is that the phone and broadband delivered to the Test Socket is fine so the fault lies on the @smhartley1 side of the divide and is therefore a chargeable repair if done by Openreach. Also because everything is fine at the Test socket this is unlikely to be accepted by Plusnet as a broadband fault.

There are different options for rectifying this problem. Whilst I have a full set of tools and test kit my solution would probably be different to that of some-one less equiped so I think it best to list the options.

1. Buy a new Mk3 interstitial plate to replace the exisiting one. These appear to be available at a price but are obsolete having been replaced with the later model that I have suggested, which replaces the two part front plates for a single unit, removing a potentially unreliable connector. The interstitial plate gives ready access to the extension cabling should that be replaced. This requires an IDC replacement tool. A cheap plastic one would do for just two connections.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/27015380582?iid=401497154082

This has the advantage of simply transferring the two cores from the extension across to the new ones on a one for one basis.

If going down this path I would recommend that the Interstitial plate is fitted and the download speed tested at this point BEFORE fitting the extension wires so that any detrimental effects from retaining this old cable extension can be determined.

2. Fit the more modern replacement. The advantage is that these are potentially more reliable, the downside is that fitting the extension cable is potentially a little more difficult. It is necessary to note the colours connected to the A and B connectors and transfer these to the same terminals that should be available on the filtered socket, at least they are there on the spare that I have in front of me. Again I would test before fitting the extention, which might require the IDC tool.

3. The easy, no skill needed solution is to either buy the new type filtered faceplate or pay over twice as much for the older type. Plug them together. Plug in a longer DSL cable and the jobs a good 'un.

Moderator and Customer

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@Baldrick1 All three suggestions sound fine to me. As you say, it is up to @smhartley1 to decide which she thinks is the best,but one of them should solve the problem. 😉

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@RobPN  @jab1  @Kevin  et al

We appear to be running around in circles here discussing this amongst ourselves. Poor @smhartley1 's brain must be getting more and more confused.

@Baldrick1 

IMHO some previous confusion was apparent but your post above shows that the ducks are now lined up, which is why I tried to be helpful with my post #105 last night.  Wink

I'm wondering if it might be worth plugging in the existing interstitial plate again just for a final test as it's not unknown for contacts which have become oxidised or corroded to be cleaned up slightly by removal/reinsertion.

If I'm not mistaken, images 3 and 4 in post #96 possibly show a household appliance to the right of the main socket - if that's a washing machine or fridge there may be a localised source of moisture/condensation which may have affected the contacts.

Perhaps also worth further checking with the orange DSL extension wires removed to rule out damage to the cable/RJ45 socket being the cause of the problem.

I suspect you already know that my choice would be to reconnect the hardwired unfiltered DSL extension to the A/B IDC terminals of a new replacement interstitial plate, but failing that, obtain a filtered faceplate which has those terminals.

But as @jab1 says, the final decision is for the OP to make.  Thumbs_Up

Edit:  typo

Kevin
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 @jab1  @RobPN

I concur with all your conclusions, and agree with @RobPN that it is worth a quick go putting back the Mk3 interstitial plate AFTER the VDSL extension wires have been removed, just to see if it was a poor connection fault, although I doubt it.

A quick search found this listing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BT-Openreach-VDSL-Faceplate-MK3-For-NTE5a-Master-Socket-BNIB/1846....

This would be an easy fix, and then the VDSL extension could be put back on using the tool in the link @Baldrick1 gave, if so desired by @smhartley1 

Kevin.
smhartley1
Grafter

@Baldrick1 @Kevin @RobPN @jab1 

I am really grateful for all your input. Brain not quite fried yet! 😁  Unfortunately, hubby not been well for a day or two so hasn't been able to put things back together. Still plugged into the test socket with the dangly filter. Hopefully he will be feeling up to it tomorrow so will be able to report back what happens.

One thing I can report is that my down speed has increased slightly but my up speed (which is where this thread all started) has increased substantially since they re-provisioned my line to 40/10, and without your input I would not have reported a fault and discovered that.

@RobPN There isn't an electrical appliance next to the socket - it is an electric socket that you can see the edge of, just the power for the telephone.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@smhartley1 wrote:

@RobPN There isn't an electrical appliance next to the socket - it is an electric socket that you can see the edge of, just the power for the telephone.

@smhartley1 

Ah yes, that makes sense now !  

smhartley1
Grafter

@Baldrick1  @Kevin @RobPN  @jab1 

Hi guys

Well, took a bit longer than expected for hubby to be able to put things back together but we have now done it. We put the master socket back together without making any changes and plugged the RJ11 into the old wired extension (as hubby wanted to see if it had just been a 'glitch'). Needless to say - no internet! Anyway, to cut a long story short, we tried different configurations, including disconnecting the orange wires from the interstitial plate, but there is only internet when plugged in to the test socket so we have come to the conclusion that the master socket is faulty. 

I am ordering a new socket, I think this one will be ok? https://www.amazon.co.uk/NTE5C-OpenReach-Telephone-Master-Socket/dp/B07LFMPVX4/ref=sr_1_2?crid=ZJV21...  

I already bought a longer RJ11 cable and have re-sited the hub back to where it needs to be so that I could get the computer out of the hallway and I am getting speeds in excess of 31Mbps down and 9.5Mbps up on wifi on a 40/10 provision.

So, between you all, you have helped me enormously even though the initial problem that brought me to the forum - my Blink cameras not working as they should - has not been resolved, I have got vastly improved speeds that I would never have had if you hadn't advised me to raise a fault with PN. I fear that the issue with the cameras probably has nothing to do with my upload speed so I will go back to Blink to try to get that one resolved!

Thanks again for all your help

Baldrick1

@smhartley1 

It’s only the front of the master socket that you need to replace. You need to screw the back box on the wall, forget the interstitial plate (which is the faulty part) and fit one of these.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-ADSL-VDSLFACE-SOL-Filtered-Compliant-Faceplate/dp/B00NBZKN30/ref=sr...
 rather than the screwless type that you have ordered.

You can fit the new type that you have ordered but this will require you to change the back box as well. Be aware that this is at your risk and is against the regulations.

Moderator and Customer