cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed too slow for my Blink cameras

smhartley1
Grafter

Re: Upload speed too slow for my Blink cameras

@Gandalf I have updated the ticket, no appointment booked yet. Internet been intermittently dropping today again.

On the plus side, the upload speed has increased, thanks for that

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @smhartley1 

I've booked an engineer appointment and updated the ticket with the appointment details.

We'll follow things up with you as soon as we can after the visit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
smhartley1
Grafter

@Gandalf  Engineer has been again this morning. Said he cannot find any faults. He also told my husband that PN had told Openreach that we had reported to you that there was still a fault! The only thing that I reported after the first Openreach visit was that our line was provisioned as 40/2, and the day after his visit that the line kept dropping out intermittently, which I was putting down to Openreach working on the line.

I am satisfied with the upload speed that I am getting now that the line has been re-provisioned. The download speed has not altered but that's ok as I didn't have an issue with that.

smhartley1
Grafter

@Baldrick1 @Gandalf
So everything was fine apart from the pc being stuck in the middle of the hall so that I could connect directly to the master socket. While I was at work today darling hubby decided that he would put the pc and router back where they belong, so he unplugged the router (HH6) from the master socket and plugged it into the extension socket. It lit up green and then started flashing purple and continued flashing purple but didn't connect to the Internet. He then left it until I came in from work for me to deal with. I still have no Internet connection. I have reset it, following the instructions given on here, I've plugged it back into the master socket and back to the extension, I've even tried to return to my old TP- link router, but I'm not connecting. I'm now at the end of my tether (and ready to strangle darling hubby 😂). Can anyone help me please?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Flashing purple means it’s not syncing with the cabinet. When you reset it did you keep the switch closed for at least 30 seconds? Have you tried connecting to the test socket? Have you checked that the phones working?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

smhartley1
Grafter

Don't seem to have a test socket. Phone's are working. May not have held reset for 30 seconds.
Tried again, followed instructions to the letter. There is no save option when changing username so I went to next step as stated. Clicked connect button but after a few seconds of pink box saying connecting it changes to a green box saying disconnected and the HH is flashing purple again.
A few minutes later and its flashing orange again
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@smhartley1 Your test socket is behind the removable section on your master socket - you will have one!

John
Baldrick1

@smhartley1 

If you take the front off the BT Master Socket, you may need to remove two screws, the front section plugs in to the Test socket. This is where you need to plug your dangly filter to properly test your connection.

If you want the best possible internet connection then the 'proper' place to put your hub is next to the BT Master Socket, not on the end of an extension. If this is not the best for where you need your Internet connection then you need to extend the range by one means or another. This post will tell you your options: https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper...

This begs a question about your current telephone wiring. You might have told us but to save me trawling back over 4 pages:

What type of BT Master socket do you have? If necessary can you upload a photo? If it's the latest clip on front section type then these have a reputation for giving problems. Is it a filtered type, that is has the front section got separate sockets for phone and ADSL? I suspect not as it appears that you can plug your hub into an extension. If you have then the extensions aren't connected properly.

If you can supply this information then we can offer further advice on how to rearrange things for the best possible performance. In the meantime plugging in to the test socket will hopefully solve your problem

Moderator and Customer

smhartley1
Grafter

@Baldrick1 I can't work out how to attach pics when messaging from my phone, there's no 'clip' and obviously I have no Internet so can't send from pc.
It is a filtered master socket. The 'extension' is not a plugged in one, it was wired in by openreach when I upgraded to fibre as at that time we needed the hub too far away from the master socket (about 3 metres). The 'extension' is not the issue here as I cannot connect even when plugged into the master.
The master socket does not have a test socket for internet, only telephone. When the engineer came last week he plugged into the master socket front plate when doing the tests.
I just can't understand why, after moving the hub yesterday, I have lost all Internet and cannot get either the HH6 or my original TP Link to connect.
Thanks
jab1
Legend

@smhartley1 To use the test socket for a router, you need to use a 'dangly' filter - you should have received one with the router.

John
smhartley1
Grafter

@jab1 Ahh, I understand now. But I don't really see what this will achieve?
Baldrick1

@smhartley1 

There are two issue here.

1. You have no connection. As @jab1 says you need to use a dangly filter.

2. It sounds like Openreach have used the non preferred connection methodology and bypassed the filtered faceplate as far as the extensions are concerned else you would have no broadband when using an extension. This can have a huge effect on download speed when using the Master socket or any of the extensions.  To test this out can you check by taking off the faceplate and seeing if you still have a dial tone at an extension?

Obviously getting you back on line is the first priority.

Moderator and Customer

smhartley1
Grafter

@Baldrick1 @jab1
1, I don't have a dangly filter. I'd have to go and buy one. What would that achieve?
2, Yes, there is a dial tone when plugging a phone directly into the test socket. Or did you mean to check the dial tone on a phone not plugged in to the master socket? My phones are cordless so have been plugging an old wired handset in to check it.
jab1
Legend

@smhartley1 @Baldrick1 Might get his reply in before me, but to answer your questions above:

1. You should have at least one filter which came with your router (if it is a PN modem/router).

2. The idea is to check whether you have a dial tone at the extensions when the faceplate is disconnected.

John
smhartley1
Grafter

1. Probably threw it out years ago as we have the filtered faceplate so didn't expect to need it!
2. So, do you mean disconnect the faceplate, plug dangly filter in to test socket, then plug router and phone into dangly filter?
3. Was using TP Link router, then changed it to a BT HH6, which both did work but now neither work!