Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed too slow for my Blink cameras

smhartley1
Grafter

Upload speed too slow for my Blink cameras

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can give some advice. Was using a TP Link router with my fibre connection, upload speeds had not bothered me really butthen I bought a pair of Blink Cameras. I set them up but they will not pick up and report any activity. The Blink troubleshooter points to the upload speed being too slow, needs to be above 2Mbps. I did some speed tests and was only getting max 1.86Mbps. Download was only coming in at 20-25Mbps also. My estimated download is 31-40Mbps and upload is 7-10Mbps so I bought a new router, thiking my TP Link was a bit old and outdated.

I bought an Asus DSL-AC68U, set it up today. My download speed has increased to 31Mbps but my upload is exactly the same at 1.86Mbps. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Steph

113 REPLIES 113
ecrTech
Grafter

Re: Upload speed too slow for my Blink cameras

well that's Odd, if your "down speed" went up so should your "up speed" 

you can raise a fault at https://faults.plus.net, and see how it goes.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@smhartley1  it is worth knowing what your line is capable of and if you are getting close to those top speeds.

Entering your phone number into the BT Broadband (btwholesale.com) will show what you should be getting, and on the Observed speeds what you are getting.

If you post the results on here make sure you hide your phone number.

If there results are close then it would be a waste of time raising a fault.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@ecrTech wrote:

well that's Odd, if your "down speed" went up so should your "up speed" 

you can raise a fault at https://faults.plus.net, and see how it goes.

Not necessarily, if the problem is narrow band noise in the upstream part of the spectrum you would expect this.

@smhartley1 

Others will tell you that this is a poor choice of hub with a weak modem. I would send it back if you still can.

Have you done a quiet line test by ringing 17070 then option 2 using a wired phone? If there’s any noise report a phone not broadband fault.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@smhartley1  As @Baldrick1  says the first thing to do is get rid of the DSL-AC68U, it works well as a router with an external modem but its built in modem is very poor. If you have line problems now it is likely to make things much worse. Reduced speeds, dropping connections etc are very common with this device.☹️

smhartley1
Grafter

Hi

Results attached (I hope). Took me a while to work out how to do it in the correct format. I have no idea what any of it means though!

smhartley1
Grafter

Hi

Yes, I'm beginning to think that this hub is no better than I had before - any recommendations as to what I should get?

I tried the quiet line test from my cordless phone as I don't have a wired one, I'm going to try and borrow one to try it. There was no noise using the cordless.

smhartley1
Grafter

Hi

Yes, I think I am going to try and return it. Can you recommend a suitable replacement?

Mustrum
Community Veteran

How much do you want to spend?

You could get a BT HH6 for around £20.

After that, then look around £100  for a VDSL Router, but it does depend on how much info you want from it.

smhartley1
Grafter

Aren't the BT HH's locked to BT?

£100 is ok, I am not particularly looking for info from it, just enough oomph to get my upload speeds up high enough to get my Blink cameras working.

Thanks

Baldrick1

@smhartley1 

BT Hubs also work on Plusnet, see here for others experiences. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

However if you would prefer to spend £100 on a third party device then that's fine. Remember that you want an ADSL/VDSL combined Modem/Router, not a straight Router. TP-Link make cheap suitable devices.

Just be aware that this problem might not be caused by the hub so you could be spending this money for no tangible improvement.

I would investigate further to find whether you also have a network or hub problem before shelling out your sort of budget.

Moderator and Customer

smhartley1
Grafter

hI @Baldrick1 

Thanks for your advice. The Asus is being returned. I have got hold of a wired phone which I am just about to try the quiet line test. I am also going to try plugging my TP Link directly into the master socket and see what happens then.

I might be able to get hold of a BT HH to try but not sure yet which one it is.

I'll post the results later

smhartley1
Grafter

@Mustrum  are you able to advise on these results?

Thanks

Baldrick1

@smhartley1 

Looking at the results you posted your results with the router connected to the Test socket should give you a download speed in the range 40-58.4Mbps and upload of 8.6 to 13.5Mbps. Consequently you should start by checking if you get these results with a computer connected to the hub via an Ethernet cable. If not then this is the first thing that needs addressing.

If that's OK then it's a wireless issue. How far are the cameras from the hub location?

Moderator and Customer

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@smhartley1  THE DSL Check shows you are in sync at 37 10 which is considerably slower than the 58 13.9 you could het in ideal conditions.

Do you have a filtered master socket? Or are you plugged into an extension?  

Ah @Baldrick1  has beaten me to it..