Did you mean: 

Upload speed suddenly crippled

FIXED
mrpeplow
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Upload speed suddenly crippled

Hi, 

i'm a new customer and so far for the last few weeks i'm pretty happy with 71mb download 18mb download.

But suddenly my upload has dropped to about 9-10mb (only noticed when i was uploading a large file) can I have my 18mb upload back please?

Am I the only one having upload issues?

See below for router stats (there look ok?)

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 15.42.21.png

13 REPLIES 13
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Upload speed suddenly crippled

Hi @mrpeplow

Thanks for getting in touch.

I've tested your line and you're syncing at the full 20mb/s upload. The router stats you've provided show the same figures.

Could I ask how you're measuring the upload when you see 9/10mb/s?

Best wishes,

Dave

mrpeplow
Dabbler

I'm just using a standard speed test tool everyone uses on http://www.speedtest.net

Same results weird or wifi 2.4 or 5gig, every device in the house.

Old results:

before.jpg

new results:

after.jpg

During the speedtest it shoots up to 18meg for half a second before suddenly dropping to 9-10meg just like it being capped. 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for confirming this @mrpeplow. I have tested your line again today and I can see that you still appear to be achieving an upstream sync speed of 20Mbps. As this is the case I'd recommend setting the router up within the test socket to see if the speeds improve at all and a guide on how this can be done can be found here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
mrpeplow
Dabbler

Hi there,

I tried the test socket but unfortunately I get the same results, Fast download but half speed upload. I will try and reset the router to factory settings tonight.  

mpmc
Grafter

This sounds very similar to something I noticed while looking into a fault on our connection. speedtests were showing our downloads to be half of what we should be getting. To cut a long story short, the Ethernet cable was to blame. Make sure your cables are all securely connected to their ports! Smiley

mrpeplow
Dabbler

Hi, I tried the test socket and have just tried using another modem, router and filter. Unfortunately I am still suffering from half speed uploads even with this completely new setup. Can you please escalate this with Plusnet now as I have eliminated all possible causes my end. Cheers thanks for your help.
friendlyhosting
Hooked

Are you Speed Testing using Hardwire or WiFi?

mrpeplow
Dabbler

Both with identical results Sad

friendlyhosting
Hooked

Thought I'd ask just to clarify as WiFi uploads can be slow.

mrpeplow
Dabbler

Makes sense, but I know there’s an issue because I enjoyed a solid upload speed of 18mb all over the house and even around 15-17mb at the bottom of my garden, then all of a sudden it’s been capped to about 9mb even standing next to the router. Also my upload speeds to my NAS are super fast so it’s not my wifi.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @mrpeplow,

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your speed. We have run a test at our side and everything looks fine.

Please run a speed test on here via an Ethernet cable and Internet Explorer / Microsoft Edge. If the speed is lower than the estimated speed, please click further diagnostics then enter your telephone number and run the diagnostics to send this information to us.

Along side this, please raise a fault at here and let us know when you have completed it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
mrpeplow
Dabbler

Fix

Hi,

After weeks of slow uploads speeds as slow as 5mbit unto 11mbit on both cable and wifi on two different modems and routers, Im happy to say that today problem miraculously reversed. 

Not sure if this was Plusnet or the BT network.

Current speed

Screenshot 2018-10-06 at 11.20.30.png

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @mrpeplow,

Thank you for letting us know that this problem is now resolved. As the tests from our side weren't picking up the poor upload speeds, it's difficult to say what caused this. I'm sorry for any inconvenience that this issue caused you.

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you experience any further problems with your connection or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team