Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed significantly less than advertised

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Upload speed significantly less than advertised

I'm afraid that we wouldn't be able to carry out any work on the internal wiring of the property and this would need to be done by yourself or a 3rd party. It's important to take into consideration that the service is currently working as we would expect it to and any alterations to the internal wiring could potentially jeopardize that if not carried out properly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@HitcherAJC wrote:

One question - would a filtered faceplate offer better speeds over using the provided microfilter?

If so, can I purchase and wire my own

You are unlikely to improve on the performance you get when plugged in to the Test socket.

You can buy them from the likes of Amazon. Note that there are two types, one clips in, the other is retained by two screws. They are not interchangeable.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@HitcherAJC 

The purpose of the microfilter or filtered faceplate is to remove the broadband band signals from a connected telephone handset, the modem connects directly to the incoming phone line. In most cases the filter is being used as a media converter for the phoneline connection to the modem (RJ11 to RJ11 cable). So unless you are using a landline phone I personally wouldn't buy a new filter. 

Being a new connection I expect your master socket is a 5C model, the seating of the faceplate on these can be poor as it just clips into place and can cause noise on the phone line due to poor seating. In the past I have plugged the micro filter directly into the test socket behind the faceplate, which reading this thread did improve the signal slightly.

Hope this helps.

Dan.

HitcherAJC
Dabbler

After 3 months of disappointing upload speeds it finally went up to 5.8mbps and I was happy, for about 3 weeks.

on Saturday my internet went off for around a minute, orange flashing in router - when the net returned my upload speed had dropped to 2.5mbps at a struggle. I’ve waited a few days and Yes I’ve tried rebooting it to fix. 

could you please just give me the speed advertised as you have proven my line is capable of it.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @HitcherAJC, thanks for your message. I am sorry to hear that you have seen a decrease in your upload speed.

I have tested the line and this hasn't located any faults but there is cross talk being detected, which could be causing the issue.

We could look to get an engineer arranged to take a further look at this for you, just need to set the expectation that there may not be much they can do about the cross talk as it's essentially interference from other lines within the cabinet.

If you would like us to raise this to our suppliers and progress with an engineer, please log a fault here: https://faults.plus.net. When raising the fault, there will be a box you can add some info, please add your availability in there (Engineer appointments are available Monday - Friday with two possible time-slots, this is either the AM slot (8am-1pm) or the PM slot (1pm-6pm)).

If you let us know on here once done, we can get that picked up and booked for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team