cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed significantly less than advertised

HitcherAJC
Dabbler

Re: Upload speed significantly less than advertised

That's not really good enough...the speed provided should fall somewhere between the estimated speeds, not half of the minimum estimated speed..

I reached out hoping that this could be resolved. I will give the line enough time to adjust, and will take it from there.

Thanks.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@BD So your response to @HitcherAJC  implies that any upload speed including zero is acceptable as far as Plusnet is concerned, except that no internet connection will work with zero upload speed because every download packet has to be replied to with an ACK or acknowledgement response so please advise as to what is considered to be the minimum required upload speed. Your assertion that upload speed is of no significance and no fault can ever be raised because of low upload speed is to put it mildly totally ridiculous. 😫

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Why is the upload speed so critical? What is being streamed that needs 6mbps US?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HitcherAJC
Dabbler

Hi Townman, 

I require the upload speed to be able to live stream to twitch - I upload streams of digital art and gaming.

This was the reason for the purchase as I live in a home with 5 people sharing one line and congesting the speeds - wanted my own dedicated line Smiley

Thanks,

Andrew

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @HitcherAJC,

I'm sorry to see the upload speed is performing below the estimated speeds. When it comes to upload speed, we don't offer a minimum guaranteed speed like we do for download speeds and as everything else with the service is working as expected, there's unfortunately very little we can do in this situation to improve the upload speeds you're currently receiving. The upload speed is expected to fluctuate from time to time and my best recommendation for the time being would be to keep the router up and running without any reboots (wherever possible), as this may help to improve the upload speeds. Other than that, it would be best to keep connecting via Ethernet cable to the router to ensure you're always getting the most out of the connection. Additionally, it may be worth trying to stream at a lower quality when you encounter issues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
HitcherAJC
Dabbler

Absolutely unacceptable. The most shocking customer service I have ever received.

The upload speeds were mentioned in the live chat I had with your sales rep when I signed up. 

The line to this house is able to receive up to 10mbps upload, so why aren’t you providing it? Contact openreach? 

telling me to just “deal with it” is not good enough.

you’re expecting me to pay for 18 months for something that you falsely advertised and miss sold to me? Absolutely not. 

I want this resolved or this will be a conversation to trading standards.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm sorry to see you feel this way @HitcherAJC. I see that earlier in the thread you'd mentioned you'd set the router up within the test socket but that this hasn't inspired any improvement to the upload speed - have you been able to carry out any other internal troubleshooting checks and if so, which ones. For reference, we have a troubleshooting guide here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
HitcherAJC
Dabbler

Please stop trying to throw hurdles and deflect. I have a background in IT - the issue is at your end.

whether it's the street cabinet, your line, or openreach, the issue is on your end.

I would NOT have spent £72 upfront to have this installed if I'd known how shady you were being.

False advertisement and very poor after care. I was calm yesterday when I reached out to you guys, but to have three members of staff tell me to just deal with it, that really boils my blood.

Like I said if you do not resolve this, I'll be having a conversation with trading standards.

3 mbps upload is absolutely appalling and NOT what I signed up for.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@HitcherAJC 

What is it that you seek, the right to cancel in the knowledge that no other ISP that uses the BT infrastructure can improve? Plusnet can only supply you with what Openreach can provide through the infrastructure to your property. You can try Trading Standards but in contract terms minimum guaranteed speed is definite. However  estimated speed has no tolerance applied and as you have found can be wildly out. Unfortunately no getting hot under the collar can change this fact.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HitcherAJC
Dabbler

as previously stated - I have two internet lines into the property.

The original line (Sky) provides the advertised upload speed, between 6-9 mbps - do not recommend that I use this line as this defeats the purpose of me paying for my own dedicated line.

The new line that has been installed starts outside of the property and feeds directly into my room - it is not using any existing wiring in my home.

They can provide the speeds advertised.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

No two circuits are the same, even to the same property. They could be in different cable bundles. Whilst understanding tor frustration, speed guarantees only apply to DS not US. Therefore getting BTOR out of bed to fix this is not going to be easy - Plusnet only get what Plusnet (or any other ISP) is given one each individual circuit by BTOR/BTw.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thank you for your time on the phone this afternoon @HitcherAJC. As discussed, I've logged a complaint ticket on your account regarding this matter, here.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
HitcherAJC
Dabbler

Thank you for your call.

One question - would a filtered faceplate offer better speeds over using the provided microfilter?

If so, can I purchase and wire my own?

Thanks,

Andrew

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @HitcherAJC,

In this particular case, it may make a slight difference, however it wouldn't fundamentally boost the speeds reaching the router.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
HitcherAJC
Dabbler

So I have just tested it with an existing faceplate onto the plusnet line and it has made a significant increase of the download speed and a slight increase on the upload speed which leads me to think that there are things that can be done to improve the speeds. 

With that in mind do you have any suggestions? maybe the quality of wire used during the install can be improved? or the connection point at the front of the residence.

See attachment for speeds.