Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed significantly less than advertised

HitcherAJC
Dabbler

Upload speed significantly less than advertised

Hello,

So I've had a new line installed into my home in addition to the Sky line that we already have with the intention of having a dedicated line for live streaming. The reason being is that we have 5 people sharing one router, whilst the upload speed is 6-9 mbps, the connection would vary due to the traffic.

So I had a plusnet line installed directly into my room. The download speed is exactly as advertised and the latency is fantastic, however the upload speed is 2-3 mbps. I need at least 6 to be able to stream comfortably. I've run a bandwidth test on OBS which saw the connection fluctuate and have also run the tests advised by plusnet - it shows that I am only using 3/10 available to me.

Is this something that will settle? the reason I need to know is because if the speeds advertised (5-9mbps upload) are not possible, then I will need to cancel the contract before the cool-off period ends.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Andrew

Tags (1)
34 REPLIES 34
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Upload speed significantly less than advertised

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@HitcherAJC  Welcome to the forum.

Are you using wireless or testing over an Ethernet cable? If wireless what do you get with an Ethernet cable between your router and computer?

Are you aware that you have 14 days from signing up to Plusnet, not the go live date, to cancel without penalty?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HitcherAJC
Dabbler

Thank you for your response.

I am using a 1m Cat5e cable direct from the router into my computer.

I wasn't aware that the "cool off" period was from the point of sale, and not the installation date? that's a bit absurd.

I'm sure that you can cancel if the speed provided is significantly less than advertised?

I am hoping honestly that there is an issue at their end that they can rectify so that I can use the connection for it's intended purpose.

Thanks,

Andrew

Baldrick1

@HitcherAJC 

You can cancel if Plusnet cannot get your speed up to the guaranteed minimum after you have given them ample time to correct the speed problem. Having said that whilst they give a guaranteed minimum download speed I’m not sure if the upload is estimated or guaranteed, look at your email from Plusnet to check it out,

Have you had a new BT master socket installed? It is worth removing the front section to expose the test socket. Plug your filter in the test socket and see if that helps. Also try plugging a wired phone in and ringing 17070 then option 2. If there’s any noise on the line then this needs fixing as it’s the probable cause.

Moderator and Customer

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @HitcherAJC, thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Community Forums.

I can confirm looking over your connection from this side currently we're only seeing 3.2Mbps upload reaching your router however when checking on https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com I can see your upload estimates are 6.2 - 10.8Mbps. With your download speeds currently showing fine both our and your side however I'm afraid there's nothing we can do in investigating your upload speeds further as we don't guarantee a set upload speed and therefore can't look to raise such issues with our suppliers.

Test Outcome
Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 36.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 3.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 783.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-05-28T07:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 36.9 Mbps 36.9 Mbps 36.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 3.2 Mbps 3.2 Mbps 3.2 Mbps
Up Time 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2021-05-28T17:19:56.620+01:00 2021-05-28T17:34:56.620+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

From the graph above there doesn't look to be any signs of banding or underlying issues either. It could very well be the 30 day training period behind some of the upload speeds not showing but usually within the first 10 days the speeds settle to what they would be moving forwards.
Some things I'd check your side in making sure there's nothing internal behind the lack of upload is to make sure that the router is plugged into your master socket. (This usually being the first socket the line reaches when entering the property.)
I'd also make sure you're using the provided DSL cable and aren't using an extended cable as this also could explain the upload being lower then we'd expect.

As @Baldrick1 pointed out, the 14 day cooling off period starts from the day after the contract is arranged as it's not so much a buy a try period but is time for customer to look through and make sure they're happy with our terms and conditions whilst making sure they're happy going ahead with a lengthy contract.

I'm sorry this may not be the outcome you were looking for but hopefully some of the steps I've provided may help in uncovering what's behind the loss of upload speed you're seeing.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @HitcherAJC 

Thank you for getting in touch on our Community Forum, and I'm sorry to see that your upload speeds are not reaching those which were advertised upon sign up.

I've run some tests on the line which correlate with the speeds you've quoted here, so there's clearly something going on here.

I've sent you an email with a few checks to do on your end, which might help to improve this. If these do not resolve the issue, please raise a fault with our Technical Support Team by going to faults.plus.net

Please be advised that an engineer appointment may be required. I've attached our test results this post for your reference.

KBD

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 36.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 3.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 783.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-05-28T07:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 36.9 Mbps 36.9 Mbps 36.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 3.2 Mbps 3.2 Mbps 3.2 Mbps
Up Time 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
HitcherAJC
Dabbler

Thank you all for the responses. I have received the email and will check shortly.

As this was an additional line into the property, the engineer connected the wire externally around the house and through the wall into my room - The master socket 5c is installed about 0.5m away from my computer - wired with the provided cat5e.

I would assume that the upload speeds would match the suggested speeds as the other connection in my home provides the advertised speeds on the main line, which is why I purchased this connection.

I'll run the troubleshooting and also give it 10 days to settle.

Thank you again for your support,

Andrew

Baldrick1

@BD , @adam945 

Come on chaps! Are you playing buses, that is there’s no sign of any Plusnet staff on this forum then we get two together? If you’re doing this then at least agree. One of you saying there’s nothing can be done and the other saying raise a fault is not exactly helpful.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@HitcherAJC 

I have no idea what is in your email but be aware that the 5c master sockets have a reputation for being troublesome so do try using the test socket.

Moderator and Customer

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Apologies for the multiple replies our end and for any confusion this may have caused.
I can confirm although a fault could be raised, if the only issue looks to be the upload speed then our faults team would look at closing the fault rather than looking to progress this further with our suppliers.
 As @Baldrick1 advised you could also look at setting your connection up within the test socket to see if the upload looks to increase.
How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Let us know how it goes.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I am of the opinion that when the GEA test says that both downstream and upstream speed assessments are both showing LOW something is wrong with the connection. 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Duplicated post deleted.

HitcherAJC
Dabbler

With the test socket the download speed increases slightly, but the upload is still the same - the upload is what is important.

Is what @RealAleMadrid suggested true?

"I am of the opinion that when the GEA test says that both downstream and upstream speed assessments are both showing LOW something is wrong with the connection. "

Thanks,

Andrew

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @HitcherAJC.
With your download speed currently being 36.9Mbps and this being within the estimate speed range of your line I'm afraid any fault raised regarding performance would be closed with the download speed being reached currently.