cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed reduction - Stay with current product

wytco0
Grafter

Upload speed reduction - Stay with current product

I understand that my broadband is going to be 'upgraded' by reducing the upload speed available? If this is correct how can I opt out of this upgrade.

Upload speed is more important to me than download and I do not wand my upload reduced. What options do I have?

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 61

Re: Upload speed reduction - Stay with current product

Assuming that you are already achieving better than 10Mb/s upload speed then the only option is Fibre Extra (80/20)

If you aren't then going from 40/20 to 55/10 won't have any effect

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

I'm afraid it's not an optional chance, as Oldjim states the way to keep the higher upload (assuming you're getting more than 10Mb/s at the moment) is to move to the Fibre Extra Product.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
wytco0
Grafter

So how do i get the Fibre Extra product, my current upload speed is 13mb + and I do not want to lose that. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Either login to member centre and click on the 'Product change' link: http://portal.plus.net/upgrade_process.html?memberheader=upgrade or call Customer Options and see if they'll do you a nice deal.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
wytco0
Grafter

W23 thanks for the tip, problem has now been resolved after discussion with the customer team ;-)

wytco0
Grafter

Well I am sorry to report this is not fixed at all and in fact my service is now much worse.

I marked it as fixed as I had a satisfactory offer from retentions to retain the upload speed by moving me to Fibre Extra. However the Fibre Extra upload speed I am getting is approximately half that I was getting before the 'upgrade'. I have spoken to Support twice, the first on told me that it would settle and the second one told me there was nothing that could be done. 

So I now have a product that is meant to be better but is actually much worse. Before the upgrade my speeds were approx 34/13 and now they are about 36/7 at best. Something has gone wrong and I am not happy.

Here is the line speed info for my line:

Telephone number:01603xxxxxx

Phone exchange:COSTESSEY

Estimated line speed:51Mb (This may vary between 37.9Mb and 51Mb) - Checked on 2016-07-04 15:25:42

Current line speed:38.2 Mb

What can be done? 

How do I remove the 'Fixed' flag from this thread?

Fixes: 142

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

I have unset the fix as the OP issue is ongoing.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

There is no reason at all for your sync speeds to have altered, moving from 40/20 to 80/20 doesn't involve any orders or changes to the line it's simply a setting on our side.

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 39.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 8.2 Mbps
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

The speed may go up again, it may also decrease slightly though. As it's within the estimate range it's not something we can report as a fault.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 51 37.9 11.6 7.7 -- Available -- --

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
Community Veteran
Fixes: 61

I have to ask the obvious question

Why was the upstream reported as 13Mb/s in post 4 and it is now 8.2Mb/s

wytco0
Grafter

Prior to the change my upload speed was always above 10Mbps normally near to 13Mbps, please look at the speeds that I was getting before the change not what they are now. The now speeds are not consistent with my earlier service speeds.

wytco0
Grafter

Chris wrote:

There is no reason at all for your sync speeds to have altered, moving from 40/20 to 80/20 doesn't involve any orders or changes to the line it's simply a setting on our side.

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 39.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 8.2 Mbps
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

The speed may go up again, it may also decrease slightly though. As it's within the estimate range it's not something we can report as a fault.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 51 37.9 11.6 7.7 -- Available -- --

The only reason for moving to the 80/40 speed was to retain my good upload speed and not to lose it with your imminent service 'upgrade' to 52/10 (which for many is a downgrade).

If nothing can be done then please revert my service back to 40/20 and cancel my 'new' 24 month contract and revert me to the position I was on before the new contract.

DJGM1974
Dabbler

I want my service restored back to the way it was. I was previously getting about 36MB/s d/l and about 9Mb/s upload on the 40/20 provision. Now after the so-called upgrade, my download speed is no different, but my upload speed is now massively reduced to under 1Mb/s. Since I do community IT support which requires a decent remote desktop connection to my fileserver, and I'm trying to stream on Twitch, both of which requires at least 3-4Mb/s upload from my home network, I am no longer getting what I am paying for.

I DEMAND my previous service is restored or I am very seriously considering moving to another ISP.

I have been with Plusnet for 3 and a half years. They call it "Broadband that loves you back". It doesn't. They say they will "do you proud". They're not.