cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed reduced?

oldbaldeagle
Grafter

Upload speed reduced?

My internet went down earlier this week which I reported to Plusnet.  Shortly after this internet came back and I have received an email to confirm that the unspecified fault had corrected itself.

In August 2015 I signed up for 2 years on the then-available 40/20 package.  I've just run a speed test on Ookla and I am concerned that, although the download speed is 37.58, the upload speed has, for some reason, reduced to 1.88.  

Although everything is working OK I am not now getting what I paid for.  Can I please ask that someone at Plusnet Towers has a look into this and put the upload speed back to what was originally agreed - I realise that nothing is likely to happen till Monday

Thank you   

19 REPLIES 19
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Upload speed reduced?

For some reason PN are putting everyone on the 40/2  Sad 

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
oldbaldeagle
Grafter

That's a bit naughty! I don't suppose the price will be reduced to match 😒
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Not just naughty but illegal in Civil Law too. A unilateral change of contract without notice and mandatory option for you to move to another supplier without penalty and refund for any prepaid Long Term Line Rental unused. Shocking behavior. 

Complaints procedure is found at https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
biggles001
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I too found my upload speed had dropped dramatically this week,but before discovering that,I had had a text from PN to say that my broadband order had completed.Most peculiar,I thought seeing that I migrated from TT some six months ago.When I queried the text,using the chat facility,I was told not to worry as BT had been doing that sort of thing to other people,and ignore the text.I realise that the drop from 14mbps to 2mbps,means that things have changed from 40/20 to 40/2,why has this happened in such a sneaky way,no notification whatsoever?My download speeds are fluctuating as well,which is frustrating to say the least.Sharpen up PN and come clean,what else have you got hidden up your sleeve?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@rongtw wrote:

For some reason PN are putting everyone on the 40/2  Sad 

Not true. Those on the 40/20 product, before they changed the base product should still be on 40/20, and PN will put your back on that product if the mistakenly put you on 40/2 on the new network.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@oldbaldeagle wrote:
In August 2015 I signed up for 2 years on the then-available 40/20 package.....

Although everything is working OK I am not now getting what I paid for.

Unfortunately we had stopped selling 40/20 prior to this date and it's likely your account was provisioned on 40/20 in error. Recently as part of a clean up we have been correcting the provisioned speeds on accounts that should have actually been on 40/2.

@biggles001 wrote:
Most peculiar,I thought seeing that I migrated from TT some six months ago.

We stopped selling 40/20 around 12 months ago, so if you only migrated over to us around 6 months ago, it is likely your account was also provisioned on 40/20 in error and has now been picked up as part of the clean up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
oldbaldeagle
Grafter

Sorry Harry B but I just don't accept that!  The Plusnet colleague I spoke to offered me a choice of 40/20 or 80/40(?) and I accepted 40/20 which is what I have had since then.

If a Plusnet colleague has made a mistake, then it is normal business practice to let the matter stand in the customer's favour.  

As things are at present Plusnet has changed my contract to my detriment without giving me notice and without giving me the option to walk away from the contract.

I look forward to your response.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'll have a look in to that further, however on the ticket when you upgraded there is no mention of an upload speed.

I'll be back in touch once I have more info.

P.S 80/40 is not something we've ever offered and upload speeds of 40 aren't available on FTTC.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
oldbaldeagle
Grafter

I've checked the tickets from when I upgraded and there are 2 which refer to 40/20.

I put a question mark against 40 in reference to 80/40 as I could not recall what the upload speed was.

As far as I am concerned, I agreed to the 40/20 package; if that was not available when I agreed to the 2 year contract that is Plusnet's problem not mine.  I distinctly recall 40/20 was being advertised when I called in August 2015 and this is what your handler offered me.   

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I was simply clarifying that 40 is not something that can be offered.

In regards to what you signed up to. As per my previous response, I am happy to (And will be) investigating that matter further and will be back in touch when I have more information. However we did stop advertising 40/20 in June 2015.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm still waiting on some clarification from a colleague regarding the dates that 40/20 stopped being sold to existing customers as opposed to new sign-ups.

However I have now listened to the call from when you upgraded from ADSL to fibre and 20Mbps upload speeds were not mentioned at any point during the call.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
oldbaldeagle
Grafter

As its a week since last I heard from Plusnet, is there any chance of a response any time soon?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Upstream-now-appears-to-be-capped-at-2-Mb/m-p/1343797#...

HarryB wrote:

@ejs The post you've linked was a broadband only account, I've had confirmation that there was a problem causing the 40/20 product to still be advertised on broadband only upgrade journeys through the member centre. Other than that, it was the 16/17th of June 2015 when we stopped selling 40/20 fibre.

oldbaldeagle
Grafter

I presume from the lack of any response from Plusnet Towers this matter is now deemed to be closed.

This and the fact that the upload speed was reduced without even an apology ('Sorry we've made a mistake..' would have sufficed) makes me question whether I want anything to do with Plusnet .  

Sadly I have over 12 months left of a 24 month contract so will have to put up with passes for customer service at Plusnet a bit longer.  

After that I expect to be going elsewhere, but I don't suppose Plusnet are overly bothered.