cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed only 3.85Mb/s

dabow
Rising Star

I wish I could get some useful suggestions as to why my upload speed has only gone up to 3.85Mb/s from its original of 1.85 Mb/s. I'm sure it should be closer to the 10 Mb/s than it is.

From the BT tests on my line I get 36.5 Mb/s actual down speed on a profile of 38.71 Mb/s, and  an actual upload of 3.85 Mb/s  on a profile of 10 Mb/s !!

This surely suggests that the "quality " of my line is sufficient to cope with towards the 10 Mb/s that is the max.

With the figures shown I get the impression that my up speed seems to be on a "hidden" profile of 4 Mb/s or some other limiting factor is occurring .

Any sensible suggestions anyone ?Huh

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed title after split to it's own thread.

9 REPLIES 9
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Still on 2Mbs upload

What upload speed range is quoted for your line at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com ?

David
dabow
Rising Star

Hi ,

Ranges quoted for up:

VDSL A       8  -  5.5

VDSL  B      7   -  3.8

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Split to its own thread and title changed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Your upload is towards the lower end of the impacted B range, so might not be regarded as a fault. Could you add the download ranges to give a complete picture? Was fibre provided as a self-install (no engineer visit)?

David
dabow
Rising Star

Hi David, thanks for your attention. The full info you requested is as follows:

VDSL A     Down    48.2  -  35

Up         8      -   5.5

VDSL B     Down     37.5  - 21.5

Up          7.5   -   3.8

Prior to the upload change  my actual down /up  speeds were   36.5/  1.85      on the 40/2  tariff.

The download  has stayed steady at a regular 36.5  but upload at 3.85 at best.

The changeover to fibre took place about 16 months ago and was done at the green cabinet ( Wrexham no.40) while we were on holiday, no nominal engineer visit.  However when we returned from hols. no internet . Engineer visit next day, identified a [-Censored-]-up in the cabinet which was corrected and everything was  operational. The quoted figures have been constant since, until the "poor" upload increase last month.

Hope this info. is of some use.

Thanks again for your consideration.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks for those VDSL estimates and the background history. The (potential) upload speed might always have been around the present value but hidden by the 2Mbps cap. Raising that cap has simply exposed it.

I reckon an upload speed around 6Mbps would be reasonable but with those estimates reporting the present value as a fault might be difficult.

Nevertheless, hopefully a Plusnet staff member will check your line and provide further advice. Have you done any fault checks (eg using the test socket)?

David
dabow
Rising Star

Thanks David for the comments. I too would have expected at least an up figure of 6 or 7 . I have the modem directly connected to the master socket but have not recently had the faceplate off to eliminate all other wiring. If there was a problem with it I would have thought it would show in the download figures being significantly reduced as well.

I will try to carry out a further check in the next day or so, I've got some snow to shift first !!

Thanks again for your suggestions. Watch this space !

Cheers, from another David !

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there. I've investigated this for you and I've replied to your thread over here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Locked in favour of the linked thread by @Gandalf

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still