cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed not guaranteed

wazzak

Upload speed not guaranteed

I raised a fault with PN over the drop in my upload speed. It dropped from 17Mbits to around 10Mbits. The DSLAM reported a 20Mbit connection send direction. It then dropped to 12000Mbit.  The Openreach engineer came tested and said you have a 20Mbit upload speed. Hed did remove the BT filter on the wall wall box. When checked Upsteam DSLAM was reporting 15000Mbit
I use a FritzBox 7390 this has worked well. When the speed dropped I tested using the HG612 BT Modem with an Apple Airport Extreme. Same upload speed. Then the HG612 with a Billion Bipac 7800, same 10Mbit upload.
I then contacted PN and said I was not happy with the results. Downstream is great running around 70Mbit. Just the upstream is the problem.
When I rang PN the reply was we do not guarantee the upload speeds will be in line with the BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER.
See the result from BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER and speedtest.net  UPSTREAM result.
Ian
8 REPLIES 8
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Re: Upload speed not guaranteed

Could be wrong, but I thought the upstream FTR  was supposed to be 22.5% of the downstream PIR.
When checked Upsteam DSLAM was reporting 15000Mbit

Not certain what is meant by this and whether its a sync speed issue or a throughput issue.
Would need to know what your line was syncing at and your bRAS profile.  Plusnet should be able to supply those.
The other possibility is that you may have an upstream fault thats caused the DLM to band you at 15Mb..  in which case the FTR should apply.
Im afraid Im working blind without any line stats 😕

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@ wazzak
Are you running Networx by any chance?
I installed it a few days ago, and it coincided with a drop of ~4.5Mb on my upstream. Turning it off didn't help, but I uninstalled it completely this evening, and now my upstream is back up where it was, more or less...
wazzak

Thanks for the replies. Attached is a screen shot of the DSL information page of the 7390. If that helps.
NetWorx is not installed on the MAC.
I was getting 20000 constantly until the drop between the 16th and 30 Oct 14.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm just having a look through this now including the fault previously raised.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I can see that we got an engineer out to you a few weeks ago to look at this issue and they identified a potential problem locally and helped you to rectify this. They also reset DLM and reported that you were back in sync at 80/20. Have you reverted any of your setup back to how it was prior to the engineer? Unfortunately you closed the fault ticket which meant we didn't check back for the results of the visit and advise on any next steps.
If you're still having issues with the upload and you don't think they're caused by your setup or equipment, you can go through the faults checker again and report this to us at https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
wazzak

I have performed a total reset of the FritzBox 7390 which cleared the 7390 back to original 'new out of box' configuration. Then re-entered the configuration for PN connection. Tested and only received the same 15Mbs upstream.
Today I have re-run the BT test and recorded a 8.3Mbs upstream with a profile of 20Mbs.
My thoughts were, it could be the Fritzbox but when tested with Openreach modem and two routers it looks like more of a connection problem.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Just for the record, as per my post up there ^^ here is a TBB speed test just taken -

and here's one taken before I uninstalled Networx -

Hmm...
Roll_eyes
wazzak

BT engineer came and scratched head. He found the upstream had been CAPPED at 15000. So we are back to 20000 now 🙂
Ian